1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 Minute Observation Topic

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missp87, Oct 27, 2015.

1. missp87

missp87 New commenter

I have an interview coming up after half term that has been arranged by one of the teaching agencies I'm part of. It's my first interview since I've graduated and I'm trying to think of ideas for what I could possibly teach, however, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

I have been told that I can either teach a 20 minute literacy or numeracy lesson, it's up to me to decide which subject and also to decide upon which topic. I believe it's the freedom in choice that's made my brain go blank. I'm very used to just being given a topic and then going off and brainstorming ideas for what I could possibly do.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to decide upon a topic for an observation if one hasn't been specified? Particularly, deciding upon a topic for a class you don't know and a year group you've never taught? I really feel that as soon as I can decide upon a suitable topic, my brain will kick into gear and start generating some ideas so any help with this matter would be appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well an interview is good news!

I can understand that your mind is on overdrive and you can't decide! But instead of thinking what topic? You really need to think Objectives? In other words, what do you want them to learn? That must be the starting point.

Start by thinking of a really good lesson that you have given in the past. What was it that made it so successful? Bear that in mind.

Then think of the objectives of your observed lesson. You will need the right objectives for this age group, but make sure that you have high expectations, yet are prepared to be flexible if you have got the level wrong. How will you (a) achieve these objectives and (b) show that they have been achieved? Progress is important, so show it. Then look back at your best class - is there anything there that could help achieve the objectives.

Then work on from that . . . including one or two lines at the end of how you would develop this work in follow-up lessons, perhaps.

Below you have Links to the newly-transferred advice articles from old-TES. Some of them are not relevant to you, but I am including them all for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call itDear Theo - I got that job!and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing yourDear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes