1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 minute literacy interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by happyjenny, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hello (",)
    I received an invite to go for an interview for a maternity position. They have asked for me to teach a 20 minute literacy lesson based on a book. I initally thought i could do a phonics lesson as i am fairly confident in this area but then it said in supporting statement literacy and based on a book.
    I'm interested to see what other people have for suggestions ideas for the lesson,
    * Owl babies - using props etc.
    * getting a really interesting book rumble in jungle? and role playing.
    * i do have a favourite book who's affraid of the big bad wolf by lauren child which has lots of exciting aspects and perhaps encourage them to make predictions.
    It has stumped me as its a 20 minute generic lesson rather than a usual 20 minute phonic session which you would or i have normally experienced.
    Any help . . . experience . . . advice would be hugely appreciated! I am a dynamic and creative teacher but stuck in a ruck at the moment from no job but with a huge passion for teaching,
    Thank you

2. Hello (",)
    I received an invite to go for an interview for a maternity position. They have asked for me to teach a 20 minute literacy lesson based on a book. I initally thought i could do a phonics lesson as i am fairly confident in this area but then it said in supporting statement literacy and based on a book.
    I'm interested to see what other people have for suggestions ideas for the lesson,
    * Owl babies - using props etc.
    * getting a really interesting book rumble in jungle? and role playing.
    * i do have a favourite book who's affraid of the big bad wolf by lauren child which has lots of exciting aspects and perhaps encourage them to make predictions.
    It has stumped me as its a 20 minute generic lesson rather than a usual 20 minute phonic session which you would or i have normally experienced.
    Any help . . . experience . . . advice would be hugely appreciated! I am a dynamic and creative teacher but stuck in a ruck at the moment from no job but with a huge passion for teaching,
    Thank you

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Remember the purpose of the interview is to see you in action, how you relate to the children so go with something you feel confident with.
    You need to be clear on the focus (or lesson objective), allow for differentiation etc. Perhaps why they wouldn't ask you to teach a phonics lesson to a group of children whom you do not know!
    Best of luck.