1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 minute lesson observation in year 3 on Monday!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsLouBLou, May 21, 2011.

1. I've just had a phone call from a school where I have a 20 minute lesson observation in a mixed ability Year 3 class on Monday morning. I have to travel 200 miles for the interview so I have today to prepare. I don't even know if my HT will give me the time off as she is away for the week atm.

It has been a good few years since I have taught year 3 and I have some ideas but I am at a loss. I am full of a cold and have that "fuzzy" head feeling so can't get my thoughts straight!

I have the ideas to do a S&L lesson on a poem, my MAJOR problem is all my resources are in school (including my school laptop, my memory stick and my copies of the works)

I have this idea, please let me know what you think, I am not sure if I am being ambitious!

Introduction:

Ask the children do they know what a tongue twister is and do they know any? Discuss with the children what would make a good tongue twister. What do you need to make sure that you use in your tongue twister? What words wouldn't you find in a tongue twister? Can any poem be a tongue twister?

Main activity:
    Ask the children to describe some of the things that they had for breakfast. Get the children to think about how they could turn what they had for breakfast into a tongue twister. What words sound the same as cereal? What words sound the same as milk?

Work with the children to think of some words to describe a bowl of cereal that they could have eaten for their breakfast i.e. Crunchy milky sugary tasty flakes. Get the children to practise writing the words in different ways e.g. Milky sugary tasty crunchy flakes.

Read with the children the poem Breakfast for One by Judith Nicholls. Get the children to identify the five words that have been rearranged throughout the text. Discuss with the children how it is the mix of the same words that makes the poem difficult to read quickly.

Tell the children that they are going to be writing their own tongue twister about school using the poem Breakfast for One for ideas.

Ask the children to identify their favourite place in the school. Get the children to brainstorm some words to describe the location.

Model writing a tongue twister with the class

Plenary:

Challenge some of the children to read their tongue twister together.

2. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Are you teaching the full lesson and just being observed for 20 minutes of it?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What is the Learning Objective?

4. I am only teaching a 20 mins session. The LO would be to create a tongue twister that plays with words

I think I may be slightly ambitious on what I will achieve in 20 mins.