1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 minute interview lesson on anything

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lfh1v07, Apr 29, 2012.

1. I've got an interview for a KS2 position and am not sure what to teach. I will be teaching a mixed ability group of 6 children.
    Tomorrow I will ask the school which year but I'm not sure what to teach! Any advice?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

20 minute interview lesson on anything
    You have an opportunity to show off your strengths.
    Whatever you feel most confident doing. Usual advice is to do something you have taught successfully before.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhhh the joy of sensible schools....Teach ANYTHING you want! You are not restricted by their nonsense requests, but can do what suits you and 6 children best!

Choose something that will allow you to 'teach' the children something. Ask about levels when you ask about year groups and then go from there.

4. I've found out it's year 5 and their levels range from level 3 to 5.
    I'm going to choose maths because it's my strength, but not sure what I can cover in twenty minutes.
    I'm thinking of this mental maths challenge maze- children mentally add single and double digit numbers and multiply by single number. Got an idea but a bit hard to explain on here!

Thanks for your advice, was a bit lost before.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

A friend of mine did that. She had a box of objects which gave clues about herself. The children worked together to find out what she was like. They then had to explain what they would put in their box.
    The school wanted to see how she interacted with the children.

6. I wouldn't do mental maths. If someone else has chosen to teach maths, it's an easy option to teach mental maths.
    If it were me, I would pick something else. I have done a successful area and perimeter lesson this week, which would be good. I have year 6 from levels 3 - 6. Take an A4 piece of paper, call the longer side 'a' and the shorter side 'b'. What is the perimeter?
    Take an A5 piece of paper, what is each side now? (longer side: 'b', shorter side: '1/2a'. What is the perimeter?
    Take an A6 piece of paper. What are the sides and what is the perimeter? Put two together to make a compound shape, what is the new perimeter?
    The children have individual pieces of paper. It works well each size of paper is in a different colour. It is a great investigation, and you are not relying on hands up with children you don't know.

7. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

The previous poster's idea of area and perimeter sounds good-you could do some practical work first, with huge squares of paper, working out perimeter and gauge their understanding of that (eg: remembering to calculate length of each side
    correctly)
    Given some examples, they could work out some perimeters of given, labelled shapes. The quick finishers could then
    be given a series of 'answers', eg: 36cm, 48cm etc, and use them to draw as many different rectangles(or other shapes)as they can with those 'totals'. Good luck.

8. What about linking your experience in Maths with Citizenship and doing something like this:
    http://www.gogivers.org/teachers/lessons/ks-2/why-do-we-pay-taxes/
    The children get to be in charge of our taxes and choose what percentage they would give to education, to the NHS etc. The PowerPoint lesson introduces it all but you could make it shorter by taking out some slides to fit in with your interview time. I would think it would stimulate some great discussion and it would show the observers you aren't afraid to tackle something a bit trickier. You do have to register to use the lessons but it is free.
    It is nice to be given so much freedom in an interview lesson rather than being given the obligitory English lesson based on a picture!
    Good luck. Let us know how you get on.