1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 minute Foundation Stage 2 Mini Beast Interview lesson

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MinalS, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi, I've got my first interview this week and have been asked to teach a class of 30 Foundation Stage 2 children. The topic I've been given is Mini - Beasts.

My initial idea is to ask the children to turn to the person next to them and think of 2 mini beasts, and write up the ideas on a brain storm.
    I would then introduce the children to plastic mini beast figures to help them name a few more. I then wanted to read "Caterpillar Dreams" by Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross.
    I have then prepared butterfly life cycle fans (15 - thought they could share). I would then ask them about the stages and what stage came first. I also have the bug catcher and am hoping to catch a butterfly to perhaps take into class with me for them to look at!!
    Do you think this is a good idea considering I only have 20 minutes and the whole class??

2. Hi, I've got my first interview this week and have been asked to teach a class of 30 Foundation Stage 2 children. The topic I've been given is Mini - Beasts.

My initial idea is to ask the children to turn to the person next to them and think of 2 mini beasts, and write up the ideas on a brain storm.
    I would then introduce the children to plastic mini beast figures to help them name a few more. I then wanted to read "Caterpillar Dreams" by Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross.
    I have then prepared butterfly life cycle fans (15 - thought they could share). I would then ask them about the stages and what stage came first. I also have the bug catcher and am hoping to catch a butterfly to perhaps take into class with me for them to look at!!
    Do you think this is a good idea considering I only have 20 minutes and the whole class??

3. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

I wouldn't ask them to think of mini beasts unless you are pretty sure they know what minibeasts are. . .

Maybe you could start with a little AFL activity to try and find out their level of knowledge? Could you start with a minibeast story - maybe something you make up yourself? With pictures to make it visual?
    You could then go into talking partners and get them to describe one of the minibeasts for the others to guess. you would need to model this first because it could be painful if they aren't used to working with a partner.

4. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

you could perhaps warm up with asking if the children know and minibeast rhymes?? then do incy wincy spider with finger actions ...

5. Hi Vannie....

I do have a lovely story about the life cycle of a caterpillar and how it can either turn into a butterfky or a moth... I also have pictures of butterflies and moths for the children to look at and compare.... and then perhaps finish off with a song and dance?

6. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Sounds lovely.
    Could you perhaps incorporate fullofun's idea and make a minibeast song bag?
    Pictures of minibeasts - worm (wiggly woo) - spider (incey wincey) - fly (Peter Rabbit) - Beetles (5 green beetles - like 5 green bottles - i'm reaching!) But you get the idea! You could make up a caterpillar song / butterfly song etc.
    You could all dance to the 'Uglybug Ball'

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

Do you have use of the IWB? There is a good PPT game I downloaded off of TES resources. It describes minibeasts then the children have to guess what minibeast is being described.
    One activity I did recently was sorting minibeasts by their properties.
    We put sorting circles in the middle labelled '0 legs'/ '6 legs'/ '8 legs'/'lots of legs'/'wings'. I used picture cards of minibeasts, but plastic toys can be used.
    I gave children the pictures and with their partner they had to decide which circle their minibeast went in.
    I then went around the circle of children and each pair placed their minibeast in a sorting circle. What was interesting was when we came across an insect with 6 legs and wings. We then put the circles like a venn diagram and the children were quick to understand.
    I did a similar activity with the properties of shapes last year for a job interview.....and I got the job!
    One thing I did do for my interview (as it was also only 20 min lesson) was leave some labels for them to go outside and search for shapes in the environment. You could do the same with the mini beasts...another activity I have done is go out on a minibeast hunt, then place mini labelled flags in the ground where the minibeast was found. I have the minibeast pictures and PPT if you want me to send them.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.[​IMG]

8. Hi Hurny,
    I had initialy thought of a minibeast hunt but the school grounds are off limits are the minute - they are knocking down buildings and re-building them and I also worried about taking all 30 of them outside!

I do like the sorting activity - I have lots of plastic mini beasts and I can imagine we would get lots of language.

Thanks for all the suugestions. Fingers crossed xxx

9. swotter

swotter New commenter

As you only have 20 mins to impress, what about The Very Hungry Caterpillar? You can discuss the life cycle, healthy/unhealthy foods briefly and then have a butterfly outline for a IWB to do some symmetry work.
    Independent work-have black cutout butterflies with some bits and bobs for the children to make symmetrical shapes. They could label the butterfly parts with postits (wings, spots, legs...)
    Provide them with laminated fruits so they can retell the story.
    Remember you don't have to do these tasks just have them planned.
    Goodluck

10. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

There have been other posts on here warning people off doing The Very Hungry Caterpillar as it is far too popular and not original enough for an interview. I can see their point however people also said not Handa's Surprise either but we had a stuident last year who went for a job and got it with that story so I suppose may be it just depends on how well you do the lesson and interact with the children.
    It may be just worth thinking about. I think you have some lovely ideas so good luck anyway.

11. Catch some minibeasts and take them in snails are a good one. Put them in a plastic box and then transfer onto a tray with lettuce leafs. Children love to watch them and they love learning facts when they have the real thing to look at.

12. Hi, I've just read your post and it all sounds amazing!! I have a job interview on Monday and your ideas sound just perfect for what I had in mind. Would it be possible to have some of those brilliant resources you mentioned? Magda