1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 minute activity for year 1

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sally_m_kline, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sally_m_kline

sally_m_kline New commenter

Hi there everyone! I have an interview coming up soon and have been tasked with planning a 20 minute activity to help improve the writing skills of a group of Y1s. I have checked their learning objectives for this term and I can see they will be covering 'similes'. My thoughts are, read them a short simile poem, a short talk / recap on what a simile is and then a group activity on a whiteboard with a chosen subject 'ice cream', with the words 'is as (something) as (something) and invite them to come up with their own ideas. Then maybe finish off with them having a go on their own on a sheet of paper (would I need to print them out some worksheets or can they be expected to copy from the board?
    Thank you so much for reading! This will be my first role if I am successful so I'm a little inexperienced and nervous

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Might be best to post on the Primary forum for more responses.