1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 min maths lesson (interview teaching task)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsshorty, May 27, 2011.

1. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

I am in SW too is extremely difficult- I have just secured a post for sept in yr 1/2! This is a nice idea for capacity lesson - i know someone who did this for an ofsted lesson (for yr 1/2) and went very well. Just be sure to think about your differentiation. Check with them how many children whether mixed ability and whether you have a TA to plan for. Get some AfL and ICT in where you can too. Good Luck!

2. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Instinctively, I'd always go for a problem solving activity in a numeracy interview (which it sounds like you're doing), maybe something focussing on calculation. If you found out what the current topics at the school are, perhaps you could devise a creative problem solving activity based around this?

3. Would be inclined to agree with the above comment. Capacity is a difficult concept without doing it practically, which could be tricky with a whole class in only 20 minutes - the time will whizz by! (I'm also being polite - personally I wouldnt touch capacity with a barge pole in a risky interview situation!!!)
    Hope whatever you choose goes well - good luck [​IMG]

4. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

I would have to agree with the above two comments purely based on the time constraint. The lesson I saw was a bit longer. Problem solving is a good idea though and your original thoughts.Getting them involved in a practical lesson is best. Go with what you feel comfortable with as long as you feel confident that you can demonstrate everything you want to. Best of luck.

5. Thank you so much everyone...... having slept on it I too had came to the conclusion that a problem solving activity would be the best option due to the time constraints! & I agree that a capacity lesson is too risky for an 20 min interview lesson. Thanks for your constructive comments xxx