1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 min interview numeracy lesson next week (Thurs)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DB9required, May 29, 2011.

1. I have an 20 min interview lesson next week (Thurs). I have to teach a group of 25 year 1/2s a maths lesson. No other info than that!

Would really appreciate constructive comments........

Should I do a 1, 2 min mental maths warm up?

For my 'actual' lesson I was going to a lesson which is linked to the NNS objectives of:
    1) Make and describe models and patterns.
    2) Use one or more shapes to make, describe and continue repeating
    patterns.

I will present the children with a multilink model of 5 blocks, in a ?H? shape. Ask the children if they can work out how to make the model exactly twice as big.

Questions to ask
    ?How many cubes would you need if you were going to make it 2, 3, 100 times bigger??
    ?How do you know??
    ?How could you check??

Children to record their predictions or findings on squared paper.
    Plenary would be sharing how the children predicted the number of cubes.

2. I have an 20 min interview lesson next week (Thurs). I have to teach a group of 25 year 1/2s a maths lesson. No other info than that!

Would really appreciate constructive comments........

Should I do a 1, 2 min mental maths warm up?

For my 'actual' lesson I was going to a lesson which is linked to the NNS objectives of:
    1) Make and describe models and patterns.
    2) Use one or more shapes to make, describe and continue repeating
    patterns.

I will present the children with a multilink model of 5 blocks, in a ?H? shape. Ask the children if they can work out how to make the model exactly twice as big.

Questions to ask
    ?How many cubes would you need if you were going to make it 2, 3, 100 times bigger??
    ?How do you know??
    ?How could you check??

Children to record their predictions or findings on squared paper.
    Plenary would be sharing how the children predicted the number of cubes.

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

personally, i think thats quite hard, some of my less able in my yr5/6 class would really struggling with visualising it being twice as big,let along 3 and 100 times bigger

4. Thank you...... do you still think it is hard with the multilinks?

5. rainbowdrop86

yes, i also think the activity u suggest doesnt actually link to the objective uve chosen. ur activity is all about scale, whereas ur objective is about pattern

6. Scrap that comment...... and the idea for the lesson - will think of another.

7. rainbowdrop86

from my own experience, u need to keep it simple, 25 mins isnt long, and uve got a group of children u dont no, by the time uve gone through behaviour expectations and explained ur task, uve only got 15mins. Personally, i think they look closely at ur interaction with the children more than the actual teaching. Keep it simple. Use something that has worked in the past

8. Thank you for your comments and advice.... would far rather hear it on here than during my interview!