1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 min interview lesson Descriptive Writing to Entertain

Discussion in 'English' started by pianopete, Apr 25, 2011.

1. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

I did a little activity with a year 10 class for creative writing. Gave them lists of 10 random objects which they had to work into the opening paragraph of a story. Some of the responses were mad. I didn't request them to be entertaining but they were! You can have differentiated lists, you could do a poem instead of a paragraph... the possibilities are endless and I had such fun teaching this lesson. I modelled a really cheesy example myself and challenge them to beat me, make me laugh...

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have a look at this BBC KS3 bitesize activity:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/english/writing/explore_imagine_entertain/revise1.shtml
    Although you won't want to use this as it is, it might give you some good ideas. It features a news report written in a very plain text and the pupil is asked to liven it up. If you have a look you'll see what I mean. You could do something similar with prepared plain texts of your own - perhaps for a newspaper or magazine article.

3. How will you show progress within a 20 minute lesson? Maybe get them to write something in a few minutes and then use the random object thing to redraft with so that you can show improvement n the writing. Or give different kids specific things to do like alter sentence lengths. Include rhetorical questions etc and then the others can guess what they had to do in the redraft. 20 minutes is a tough call though, don't try to do too much.