1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 grand eh?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 27, 2011.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

So, the government is thinking about offering certain students in certain subject 20'000 quid if they decide to become teachers. I wonder if they have thought of the following:

20K isn't even a deposit for a house any more and it is less than the debts they are likely to accrue whilst training to be a teacher...Also if you are, say, a French teacher are you going to be happy that the bloke or girlie teaching Science or Maths got all that money while you got an overdraft and a huge bill?
    Amazing isn't it it would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Where do these people come up their ideas.

PC Perce

max5775 likes this.
  2. All I can say is:

Bring on Thailand!

Can't wait to get out of this country.

Benny

3. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

My question would be 'What is the minimum amount of time I would have to do, to not have to pay the moeny back?'

4. I'm never paying my loan back because there is absolutely no chance I'll ever live back in the UK. Thanks for the money!

5. The student loan company are a joke. When I first moved overseas I informed them. For the next 3 years I didn't receive any other contact from them. On returning to the UK and starting my PGCE, so receiving an additional loan from them, did I receive another form asking where I was overseas. I informed them I was already in the UK and studying again. No problem they would adjust my information. Then I received another letter it said if I didn't contact them they would start to take the default payment of £200 something from my account each month. I was obviously in the UK and had informed them so on 3 occasions by the time I received the letter telling me they would remove funds. Couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery come to mind when dealing with the SLC.

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

€250, eh?
    At an economic moment when the dumb despair of some and the supercilious selfishness of others are much in the news, (or much of the news) I had a heartwarming experience recently.
    Three 21-year-olds, one a former pupil of ours, all attending the same local university, came to ask the school's support for a microcredit scheme in an African country.
    As most third world hands know, microcredit initiatives provide small loans to kick-start village entrepreneurs with no other means of raising credit, either because they have absolutely no collateral or because their banks don't stoop that low. Management of the money is gently but firmly supervised and sometimes there are conditions attached, eg the recipient's children must be in school.
    The young men outlined a scheme which is well under way with a pleasing success rate, monitored by students who take time out of their course with the Uni's blessing, raise their own travel money as well as cash for the scheme, and go to Africa to advise and supervise. Sparing readers the details, it was clear that their efforts were, in the shopworn phrase, 'making a difference'. And of course as with all the best service projects, the benefits were two-way, with the students learning plenty.
    The average size of the loans? €250. The sum that many a debt-burdened UK student would airily spend per month on 'entertainment', and paltry enough to make Perce's monocle shoot across the room powered by a stentorian guffaw.
    No doubt others will, with reason enough, mock the ecological inefficiency, naivety or closet capitalism, neo-imperialism or simple 'do-goodery' of all this, but it was edifying for me at a moment when something of that nature was sorely needed.

7. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Actually Dude I completely agree with your sentiment, I have spent quite a few years now in what some people might call under developed countries, not necessarily the citys but once outside one can notice the difference. One of the best balloon debates I ever saw was an Indian girl talking about the founder of the Grahmin (?) bank.
    My main point is that last year they wanted to fast track redundant bankers and now they are offering golden carrots. In one of the papers a government voicebox was saying that teachers need to be taught to deal with naughty kids,
    2 points on this:
    Firstly most of us are and secondly its the knife wielding kids with baseball bat heaving parents that we need to be careful of. 20 K isn't going to teach people who don't really want to teach to teach.... if you see what I mean.
    Toodles,
    Perce

max5775 likes this.
  8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I'm one of those who believe that, among other things, in order to teach well you need a passion for your subject, and should enjoy being in the classroom helping young people. There are already plenty who drift into teaching for the wrong reasons: paid better than my job at the bank, couldn't find another job, fancy the long holidays. I heard these and many more when I was doing my PGCE. All the £20,000 will do is buy more of the same.

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

See what you mean perfectly Perce and thank you for taking a rant in good part old sport.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Also spot-on, in my view, Big Dave.