1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20% cuts in school funding would not harm results?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by gailrobinson, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Ha! In Wales we are already underfunded to the tune of hundreds of pounds per pupil compared to England, yet expected to produce the same results.

2. depending on where in England and what phase!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As most funding is spent on staff, that's a cut of 20 teachers in a large secondary - a reduction of one class in 10, leading to class sizes of 33 or 34, and a cut of around 2000 from the science dept's budget. I could go on with the other implications, but I think my point is already made.

4. It's another bit of "deep research" Gove will use to justify his own ideas. Cost control and efficiency will fuel the fires that light the way to some sort of school privatisation, no doubt hidden under the cloak of "parental choice", "result improvement" or "public interest". No doubt there are a few Tory Party funders who are ready to take up this heavy burden in the name of progress and freedom, as with the NHS.

5. Being a fairly small school my revenue budget is just around £500K. A 20% cut would be £100K.
    I could get rid of my LSA / TAs and save £60K. The only other way to save the remaining £40K would be to lose a teacher. Damn, I can't do that as 2 of my 4 classes are protected under the Infant class size rule. I couldn't lose a KS2 teacher 'cos that would leave me with a class of nearly 60.
    I know, I could get shot of the caretaker and cleaners, dinner ladies and the secretary. So I could then do all the admin, cleaning etc. I could ask my support staff to do lunch duties - no I've got rid of them!
    Bu**er! Back to the drawing board.

Perhaps I could ask that nice Mr Gove if he has any ideas?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Haven't bothered to actually read what the OECD says, so this is a totally uninformed comment.
    However I guess that they are comparing results in UK with results in countries such as S Korea and Japan, where I believe (i.e. totally uninformed comment again) classes of 40, 50+ are common.
    So that's how we do it.
    Right, that's that sorted, now to mow the lawn.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!