1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20-25 min nursery observation ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Traineeteachersb, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Traineeteachersb

Traineeteachersb New commenter

As a trainee teacher, I will be getting observed in my second placement which in a nursery environment. I'm looking to focus teaching on one of the prime areas for learning for the focus adult led activity as I have been observed teaching a specific area- Mathematics already. In my previous observation I taught number formation, using a popular song from the MMS scheme.
    I'm looking to teach something which supports probably communication & language? or even PSED. Something fun and creative where children are actively engaged. Something where children can extend their learning through appropriate development activities to support learning in other areas.
    So basically any nursery teaching ideas which cover C&L- I was thinking of a story sac, but anything else atm?
    Thanks!!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Hi there.
    Have a bit of a think about what you would like to do, a rough idea perhaps, then share your thinking, I'm sure lots of people here will help you shape it up a bit. So a story sack, good idea, which story and what will you do?
    also talk to the Class teacher as they will know the children best.

3. donut_A

donut_A New commenter

One idea, especially at this time of the term, children will enjoy
    Communication, Language and Literacy - Letters and sounds: e.g Phonics phase 1 Aspect 2
    ( General sound discrimination – instrumental sounds. Tuning into sounds.)

You introduce the instruments in one lesson prior to your observation and build on 'prior learning' you can stretch the children to :

*listen to and appreciate the difference between sounds made with instruments ( Carpet session)
    * experience and develop children's awareness of sounds made by various instruments and noisemakers...

I have lesson plan.. let me know if you are interested.. its fun activity

Donut :)