1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 yrs teaching experience and already a headteacher.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by petroniusphilips, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Could she not do the job?
    Any strings being pulled?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, there you are, just shows you how wrong you can be.
    Because if I had been asked by this Shooting Star whether she should apply for a Headship after only 5 terms' teaching, I would have said No way!
    And if I had been employed by the Governing Body as an Education Employment Consultant for the appointment of their Head, and had been shown this application, I would have said No way!
    And I would have been wrong on both occasions . . .
    Best wishes

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Can I just add that it never ceases to amaze me that some of my ex-colleagues are in very senior positions in secondary schools.
    I would not have wanted them teaching my own children, let alone being in positions with significant responsibility!
    Perhaps one day when I write my book all will be revealed......................[​IMG]

4. I can see everyone's point. I think there are a different/additional set of skills needed to manage staff and a whole school, so someone who has developed those skills and the experience prior to becoming a teacher might conceivably move up the ladder faster. And sometimes life thrusts a LOT of experience at you, which can be used positively!

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Yes but with 2-5 years teaching how can you have a full grasp of teaching and lead on it. The clue is in the job title.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I had a head who was a rising star and had been teaching for 5 years on his first headship.......we found out afterwards he had left his first headship due to mishandling finaces and he stayed for year in the school i as working in..then promptly 'had' to move on as his wife wanted to live else where.Late we discovered the effects and results of his bungling incompetence...he didnt even really like children.How can you be a head and not have time for those under your care?.
    I know as I was on the governing body.but not the appointment panel.
    How someone of such gross failure got to be a head I will never know...... trouble is on paper he looked good and was good in interview......
    Myself i think all heads should also face the teaching body so we could have vetted him as well.
    Hey ho...its life..but what an expensive and disasterous way to learn!