1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 years experience, still an nqt, what should I be paid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Piranha, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think that if you worked for 26 weeks as an LA employee in 2009 -2010 then you would be on M2 from 1st September 2010, You would have had to do the same in 2010-11 to have got to M3 now. If you work for less than 26 weeks in a school year, you don't move up. This does include part weeks and holidays when you are employed.
    Your NQT status is irrelevant.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Progression is based on successful completion of induction.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If this is correct there seems absolutely no purpose in the concept of passing induction as you could in theory be on M5 before needing to to eclipse the 5 year post qualification rule.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You can be employed on a 0.2 contract (one day per week) and will go up the payscale each September, being on M5 when you complete Induction and M6 in the following school year.
    Pay progression happens based on having been employed (paid via an LA) in at least 26 weeks of a school year. The weeks can be pa/t or f/t.
    If on a contract, you can count weeks when you were on sick leave or on school holidays. If daily paid supply, you count calendar weeks when you were employed on at least one day.
    You can go up the payscale after being employed for just 26 days per school year, as long as each day was in a different calendar week.
    You can work 25 full weeks (75 school days) and not qualify to progress up the payscale!
    The OP needs to let us know whether any of the work done since qualifying was LA paid and, if so, what M point they started on. My sister started on M3.

5. Which 5 year post-qual rule?
    Currently you are limited to 16 months (elapsed time from first day) supply work (this is likely to increase next year to 5 years from gaining QTS). This could be long-term supply but if it is longer than for 1 term the school are supposed to start induction.
    Induction last for 1 year FTE and can be extended but not to 5 years! I suppose that if you were 0.2 FTE you could take 5 years and in that case you would be on M5 at the end of induction.
    The key point is that induction is a final quality check - if you fail it you cannot work in the main state sector.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Ignoring the case of the part timer with a 0.2 timetable, it is unlikely that anybody is going to move up the scale very far without passing induction. The most likely scenario is somebody not being able to find a permanent post, and doing temporary work for at least half a year. I think it would be very hard for somebody on M4 or M5 to find a new job if they haven't passed induction, so there is a massive incentive to pass before they become a very expensive NQT.