1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 Week Projects

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by hamjam, Jun 8, 2011.

1. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Hi fellow art teachers,
    I am currently at a school on a long term supply contract (until July 2011) in a school with limited resources. It is my intention for the remaining time to do 2 week workshops with possibly all years. I have just started a mono printing one, which is proving to be successful as none of the kids have ever done this.
    I see classes once a week for 60 mins.
    Can anyone recommend 2-3 different projects that will take up to 2 weeks to complete? Ideally skills based as all they have done is draw.
    From Sept 2011 (If I'm required), I intend to start my own projects that require more resources with take up to 6 weeks to complete.
    Thank you for your time.

2. Mono-printing is good, I know you mentioned drawing but something like continuous line drawing can be good too, paper sculptures, weaving with found materials on a theme, maybe looking at Michael Brennand Wood...I'll try and think of some more...

3. There are lots of things you could do..here are a few ideas:
    Intaglio printing using foil takeaway lids (better with a printing press)
    Silk painting/batik
    Clay tiles - mark making and texture - these could then be turned into slab pots
    Photo manipuation using photoshop or manually working over the top of photos- look at Rankin - distroy
    Press printing
    Collograph printing
    Short cut out paper animation using a digital camera of their own phones
    How to use various types of paint, pastel etc
    Scaffitto
    Frottage - images made out of rubbings (Be careful with this frottage also has another meaning!)
    Hope that helps

4. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Hi Marsoma,
    Thank you for the help.
    As I mentioned, there are limited resources here. We don't have clay or a printing press which makes colographs difficult.
    At the moment, I have been looking at mono printing, where they have been using photos of their face and taking it through the mono printing process. I have since introduced a wax wash, where they have been experimenting with that, then layering it with inks, pastels and oil pastels. I plan to have them do another mono print (A3), then take what they have done and apply it to that. They could glue materials/print shapes down before they mono print their face I guess, so they have a foundation to work from? Overall, they are loving it and happy not to be doing just drawing.

With best wishes