1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 week hol - destination ideas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Jun 13, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Iceland is stunningly beautiful but expensive and quiet
    Denmark is lovely but less stunning and equally expensive

what about Frisia? Channel Islands? Sardinia? Sicily? if you want "less popular" destinations; or mainland France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland (the Alps in summer are fabulous)

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I believe Iceland is very expensive and I think Denmark isn't cheap either. I love Italy because I enjoy galleries and lovely renaissance architecture. What do you like to do?

3. Do you want a package holiday or will you be organising it yourself?
    What kind of holiday do you want - beach, city break, foodie, shopping, cultural?
    Do you want to stay in one place or go on lots of excursions?
    What's your budget?
    You need to provide more information.

4. well I'm a solo female that usually stays in hostels. However, budget itself is not a huge problem. In which case, I'll be public transporting it around.
    would like to visit a few cities, towns, anywhere where this is something to see. I'm more a scenery type. churches, cultural etc. Not a big beach/swimming person.
    Have been to Italy.
    i think the problem I have is that I could go anywhere.
    HC

5. Yes, you could.
    Decide on a country first otherwise it will be too difficult.
    When you say you've been to Italy, have you been to all of it? Different areas offer different things. The same can be said of France and Spain.
    What about Germany?

6. Been to Florence, Siena, Pisa, Elba.
    I'm waivering towards Iceland....

7. Tuscany and Elba are only a tiny part of Italy.
    Why are you waivering Iceland? What have they done?

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You keep mentioning Iceland - is that where you really want to go? If budget isn't a consideration, why not? The landscape looks amazing, I'd love to go.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you're going to Iceland consider an excursion to Greenland if you can afford it. There are hostels which are cheaper. I did this a couple of years ago, but left it late for Iceland so spent 10 days in Greenland and 4 in Iceland, fantastic trip, you need to love the outdoors and nature though. I dropped in on a local school too and as a teacher was warmly welcomed.

10. Namibia. Amazing country and it will be winter there so not too hot (well maybe in the desert, but bearable. I don't do hot very well!) I can give you some recommendations as I've travelled the country on two occasions.

11. I second Namibia! I lived there for a year and it is an amazing place. It's easy to do it expensively, but also on the cheep. Etosha National Park is full of wildlife, the dunes of the Namib are amazing and the Kalahari is worth seeing as well.
    Found nemo, where did you go? I lived in Luderitz for a year.
    Also, Switzerland, South Germany and Austria are nice in summer.