1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 Terms in - How are we all feeling?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cally1980, Apr 15, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

For those of us who started at the beginning of the school year, we are now 2 terms in! What are your Highs/Lows? How are you feeling over all? Are things slotting into place for you?

I found myself having a Christmas meltdown at the end of term one and seriously considered leaving the profession all together - it was not a good time! I stuck it out and things are far better now. I still do not feel right in my school and so am leaving but I am not leaving the profession and am not dreading going back after Easter - which is progress!!!!!

2. Ditto! First term was definitely a bit of a culture shock and I was going to give it all up, but now, not only can I see myself being a teacher for many years to come, I can also see myself working my way up the ladder. I'm thoroughly knackered but enjoying myself. Sadly, some may say, I look forward to going in to work. Ha!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Hurrah! It is nice to hear some positivity! I am guilty of using this forum to moan and ask for support more often than not so it is good to have a 'we can do it' thread!

4. I think the worry is that by being positive, it highlights the bad times that others are having. I've had a good moan on here too, but it definitely perks you up to see that people do enjoy it.

5. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

When I am at school, I feel alright and do my best and it seems to go well. I have passed first two terms. When it is school holidays, I have too much time to think and I start feeling I am not good enough, how can I be a teacher?

It is all about being confident and assertive. I did have a really bad few weeks as well when I was so physically exhausted I just felt like it wasnt for me- I actually went sick for 5 days then I dreaded going back. When I went back I was really positive and it all fell into place. I am so confused at times.

6. Loved my first term - was on a maternity cover. Loved the school, the people I worked with, the children, parents (well most) and the school. Had a fantastic mentor.
    Changed school in January and had a very tough term and found it hard changing schools at this time. The class were challenging and had not had the same person in front of them throughout the Autumn term so they have taken a lot of hard work, however I do feel I am getting there. I am not 100% happy in this school - lots of reasons which I won;t go into here, so applying for jobs now for September, although I have been offered an extension to my contract if I want it, but I know I can't do another year in this particular school.
    Passed two terms so well on my way and looking forward to completing my NQT induction and hopefully gaining either a fixed term year contract or a permanent post so I can settle down somewhere.

7. I spent my afternoon alternating between crying and scouring job ads for office staff, customer service assistants and PAs. The PA one is looking pretty good!

8. I'm feeling alright, had a good first and second term as part of a maternity job and am about to move into a completely different school for my third term as another maternity job. Im going into year 2 just in time for SATs which I feel is going to be a little bit of a culture shock but should cope.
    The school I'm moving into is completely different in the sense that it is a secular school where I'm moving from a Catholic school. I think the main thing I'm worried about is moving from one school with one set of traditions and ways of working to another which is vastly different.

Good luck everyone ! :D

9. I echo the thoughts of everyone in this thread. I only began re-using this thread to have a moan when i hit a massive low in early march.

Even through the low points i still found myself enjoying the job if anything i have been guilty of not pulling it out of the bag when needed.

It is great fun though isn't it when for a lesson or two it all clicks - even getting involved in the stuff outside the school day has been great, though having got my legs waxed for comic relief i haven't quite been been brave enough to wear shorts in public just yet.

Don't work too hard over the rest of the easter break :)

10. Like you, I found the first term the hardest. I really considered leaving in January but I gritted my teeth & got through a really crappy half term & came out the other side! Feel loads better since then & more confident in my abilities :)

I am on a fixed -term contract which ends in July so am in the process of applying for other jobs now. I'm only applying for permanent positions, as I want to feel settled for the next few years in my new career - yay!