1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 sub levels?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by angiebabe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I was 'interviewed' by a mum of a yr4 child yesterday. Over the phone she stressed his problems were mostly centred around presentation of work. However on chatting to her it seems that literacy as a whole is a problem. Dad and grandad are both dyslexic (not sure if diagnosed). She wants me to help him move from 2c to 2a by the end of the academic year.
    When she told me about the presentation she said it was actually better in yr1 & 2 so I suggested an eye test, which she has taken on board and booked an appointment. I also thought about dyspraxia (but never mentioned the word) just asked about co-ordination, sports etc. She confirms that his co-ordination is very poor and he really dislikes any team games and learning to swim has been a problem as classes change the stroke too often for him to become competent - dad is qualified instructor but that has its own difficulties, as does mum and grandma (retired teacher) tutoring as relationships have become tricky. He is a very quiet well behaved boy who seems to have few interests. She says he learnt to read early but is not a keen reader.
    Anyway it turns out he is struggling with all aspects of literacy! Maths is great although presentation again is becoming more of a problem.
    I think it is a big ask to move 2 sublevels with this child in such a short space of time considering I will only see him for an hour a week during term time (although I could give him lots of homework of course - poor kid).
    Also I have taught 2 other pupils from this school previously and am currently tutoring 2 other children from this boy's class. Their literacy skills for yr4 imho are not great. They all struggle with spelling, punctuation and comprehension. I am comparing them to the school I recently retired from. If anything they seem to be more of a beginning yr3 level to me.
    I would value any opinions - although I don't even know if she wants me to take on the task - am curious to hear what you all have to say anyway.

2. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Our school "expects" each primary child to make 2 sub-levels of progress a year, so would it be fair to expect his level to rise by at least one sub-level without any additional tutoring? He is clearly already quite far behind, if he is in Y4 and not at 2b yet, but it seems to me that you may be able to provide the consistent input, concern and support that he clearly needs and while you couldn't guarantee a result, I suspect your input would really make a difference to him. Also, if you are providing homework to encourage him to practise what you are teaching him, it could take the sting out of members of the family directing his learning. Good luck - your concern about him tells me you are probably the right person to give him the support he sounds like he needs.

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Well I am so pleased. My worries about 2 sub levels have gone unfounded. He has gone from 2c to 3c! I'm not going to take all the credit naturally, but I feel sure now that I have made some difference. It has been one hard struggle though, with this particular child.