1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 sub-level progress

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by sulla, Apr 20, 2011.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"So...a Level 4 child should fulfil ALL expectations of a level 4"
    Well, I wouldn't put it like that. I'd never categorize any child by a Level label. but, yes, if you have the work of a whole Key Stage to go by, then the evidence gives Level 4 if the whole description has been met.
    "The problem arises when we give them a 4c for achieving some of this description and a 4a for achieving all of it! "
    Guess I've been lucky in never having had to "give them a 4c". I've only ever had to decide on 4 for all the Level 4 description or 3 for all level 3 description. cs and as are mystery territory for me.
    NC levels were never meant to be "tick box" descriptions and the idea of tick a few boxes and you've achieved a bit of a level is not very sound, really. Well, that's how I was trained to view it.

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

As a secondary teacher, having 22 different groups per week, and having to level them based on ability - 3 times a year! You can imagine I don't sit there saying 'Level 4 pupil' etc... Plus I teach a subject that in my opinion shouldn't be 'levelled' anyhow. BUT since it's part of my job description and the standards of teaching, yes I do have to categorise each child with a lable and then act upon it in my teaching, through differentiation.
    What I would like to know is this: If a pupil achieved a 4a TA from year 6, then why are so many of them unable to achieve 4a in year 7? Are they different? If the level criteria is different between years then why? And if the level criteria is the same, then why the massive inconsistancy. And why by year 11 do:
    • The majority of under-performing pupils come from the same primary school?
    • Those who have massively exceeded their FFT targets also come from the same primary school?
    Do these primary schools have two different sets of levels?