1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 students

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by MathSci, Oct 13, 2018.

1. MathSci

MathSci New commenter

If one student pays £20 ph, what is a reasonable charge for two students coming together, doing the same things?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

£50 minimum. You are not a supermarket.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The tutors I have used don't change their charge if there are two students doing the same thing in the lesson, rather than one student.

The difference is, of course, that the individual students are going to get less attention

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've paid that to one tutor, who was absolutely the creme de la creme, its very very unusual to pay that much, and I'm in London. £20-30 is normal

5. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

£20 does seem cheap but it depends where you are and what level you are tutoring. I think in this case I would charge £30 for two together.

phlogiston and pepper5 like this.
  6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I do 50% discount on my hourly rate for a second student
    Some day charge the same as they're paying for your time
    I think this depends on the subject
    Let's say it's maths, at a guess I'd say you do the same activity with one as with two
    For languages I would do different activities
    I don't teach that many pairs. In my experience it works far better with adults with a common interest than it does with kids

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Parents who are happy with pairs or group tutoring are invariably cheapskates, who will mess you around. If you want serious committed students stick to one-on-one: and even then you will get a few bad ones.

8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Which part of London?

9. BG54

BG54 New commenter

At KS3/GCSE I now stick exclusively to 1-to-1 tuition, previous experience with tutoring pairs at these levels was largely unsatisfactory.

As for the OP's query re the fee, I charged the hourly rate plus 50%.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

this was in central London

11. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I'm in Kent and charge £33 for one to one, £23 per child in a paired session and £19 in a group session max 4 kids. I'm about mid range for my area. Don't under charge or under value yourself.

treeickle likes this.
  12. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

In the midlands, I charge £30 an hour to individuals and £40 to pairs (£20 each) for A-level tutoring from home.

13. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I add on £5 per lesson for an extra tutee. That's because you need to provide 2 of everything so for me that's twice as much printing. It's also twice as much marking and it's more difficult to do in lesson time so may need to be done between lessons. So for me its £25 for individuals and £30 (£15 each) for groups of 2.
    I also have terms and conditions stating that the group rate only applies if both tutees attend. If only one can make it the individual rate applies.

treeickle likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

That is very odd. I think tutors can do better than that rate, with no agency. Think it depends how duff the local customers' local schools are, to be honest.

15. David Getling

Definitely agree. I charge £30 in Enfield, but my neighbour assures me that parents are very willing to pay £50 in Hornsey, which is a few miles closer in. But maybe Dunnocks is talking about truly awful places like Tower Hamlets and Lewisham. Is there a word for the opposite of Oasis?

16. Mrsmumbles

No-cash,Miss? Sorry. Poor taste.

17. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

you can lose both in the bush - one seems to be less of a flight risk

18. David Getling

Actually, there's some sense in this comment. You will indeed find that when one doesn't show the other won't because they don't want to pay the full fee themselves. So, taking two together doubles your expectation of cancellations.

catbefriender likes this.
  19. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I don’t alter my price for two. I only have one family where I tutor both children and I see them separately as they are different ages.