1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 stars and a wish marking- please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Olivia_s, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Hello, I'm a new poster (although I love reading the forums) and I'm hoping that some of you lovely people can help me. I'm just starting my third year of teaching and my school's marking policy is just being changed to '2 stars and a wish', which I've never used before. I know a bit about it, however I'm concerned about the workload as I have been told that we are using it for ALL books and we have had very little guidance on what it should look like (i.e should we refer to presentation and effort, or just relate it to the L.O!). I work in a one form entry school and I've asked various staff these questions but haven't had any answers. Is anyone else using this way of marking and can answer my questions or has any ideas how I can make this more manageable? Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well the school probably needs to agree and decide on a format for this. I've often used it but not for every marked piece of work obviously as it does take some time to do_Once in a while we would do this and each piece would be 'marked' by 2 children. We would decide on some particular criteria to use in the marking, including layout/presentation, use of vocabulary, general impression etc. Each piece of work would have 2 'marking grids' to be filled in and as children finished they would move at random to look at another piece.Sometimes e would then share what we thought was good about various pieces of work as a class to help children the next time they did the exercise.

3. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

We used to relate the 2 stars to 2 areas where we saw that children had achieved the learning objective and the wish was how they could improve their work next time, again against the LO. We used to highlight the appropriate place/s in their books in different colours - one for the stars and another for the wish. We made it more manageable by marking one or two groups a day ( on a rota over the week) to this level and asking the other children to self assess - depends on the age of your children of course, but that's basically how we worked it. Sorrim x

4. Not sure if your school uses WALT and WILF or something to that effect but generally I try to keep the 2 stars and a wish related to the WILFs.
    For example:
    * You have started to use capital letters and full stops correctly.
    * You have used lots of interesting 'describing words'.
    W Try to vary your punctuation more, perhaps by inlcuding commas.
    It is controvertial but I use this method for every piece of Literacy/Numeracy. This will not necessarily mean I mark every piece of work myself but I may do 2/4 and alternate with a peer assessment and self assessment for the other 2 pieces (which you do need to check - I once had a pupil congratulating another on using excellent 'partitioning' in his friend's adventure story).
    When using peer/self assessmentI have found it useful to print of and stick in a template so that pupils only have to read the work and write their comments.