1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 sides of A4- but how?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Middlemarch, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You should use font size 12 - no less, no more. Do not try the 'narrow margin' scam, as it tends to annoy heads.
    Part of the point of asking for two sides is to see if you can be concise and precise.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks for that 'heads up' Middlemarch. Perhaps thats', where I've gone wrong in the past.Plus at my last interview I was told 'less is more', so really need to take hold of this advice.

3. To be honest, the advice I've been given by people (mentors and the like) is not to even bother with the schools address/your address and all that, but rather just go in with the opening paragraph- 'Dear Headteacher...'

The reasoning behind this is that the school will already know their address, and your details will be elsewhere on the application form. Seeing as how the letter usually makes up part of the application form it shouldn't cause a problem.

All the jobs I've applied for with a letter formatted as such (without the added addresses) I've had an interview for, plus it saves LOADS of room.

4. Middlemarch

I'd like to add, from personal experience - please get the gender of the headteacher correct and check whether or not a female head prefers Mrs, Miss or Ms (or Dr, in some cases). Having been addressed more than once as 'Mr Middlemarch', I can tell you that it's irritating and suggests the applicant doesn't pay attention.
    To those thinking 'Isn't she picky?', I will add that the letter sent out with any job information pack from my schools is always signed off with my first and last names (i.e. Beyonce Middlemarch) and my first name is unequivocally a woman's name!

5. Theo, I did mean to use Dear 'Name of the headteacher' (i.e Mr, Mrs, Dr so and so), rather than just refer to them as headteacher. Sorry if that wasn't very clear. Also yes, put your name on each sheet so they know who the form belongs to! Also, V. important that you tailor each letter to each post you apply for. I always do that with ref to the person spec etc. cos each school usually wants something different. For example, one I applied for made it very clear they wanted to know about how you do AFL, whilst another didn't mention it in the person spec, but use of ICT instead.

I suppose my way of writing letters of application must be OK as it's got me interviews so far!

6. That's one thing that always sends me into a slight panic, when I can't find out if someone is a MRS or a MISS!!! (as the schools website will just have 'please send the form back to Amy Smith, for example). I usually go for a Ms in this circumstance, but I know some people hate Ms!!!

7. Middlemarch

The headed notepaper always has 'Headteacher: Mrs Beyonce Middlemarch' at the top, but I take your point that in some cases it might not. You'd have to ring the school and ask, I suppose. Or look at the website - the answer is often there.

8. Middlemarch, you/your school/administration person is clearly a lot more organised than some of the ones I've applied to! You'd be surprised at the lack of information some school websites I have been on actually have! (Or possibly not surprised).