1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 Schools at Once?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by WTDT, May 15, 2019.

1. WTDT

WTDT New commenter

Hi, quick questions for anyone who knows....

I’ve just got a part-time teaching role at a school (2 days a week). I may consider wanting to work more days in 6 months or so. If I can’t get extra days at that school, could I get another part-time role at another school?
    Is it frowned upon?
    Many thanks!

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

No, it is not frowned upon, and quite a few people do it. If both jobs are under STPCD conditions, neither school can insist that you do something on a day you do not usually teach, so there should be no problem with meetings, parents' evenings, INSET days etc as long as you work at the two schools on different days. However, most part time contracts only specify the number of hours and not the exact days you work, so you would need to make sure that the two schools are not going to change working days on you. Perhaps somebody already in this position could advise.

3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

We are a small independent and have several staff who teach smaller subjects part-time with us and at another school.

We want to retain those staff, so we make the timetable fit - invariably the other schools have published their timetables before we have, so we can move days around to accommodate their lessons at the other school.

4. WTDT

WTDT New commenter

Thank you for both replies - completely clears it up for me!

Piranha likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We do this as well!
    Hopefully no one wants to work in our two schools, or there would be no timetable until mid-October! ;)

agathamorse likes this.