1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2% pay rise next year

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/hinds-schools-can-only-afford-2-teacher-pay-rise-next-year

So with the current inflation rate at 2.1% according to https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/inflation-cpi that's another pay cut again and some teachers didn't get the pay rise from last year.

Now let me think:

• Teacher shortages
    • recruitment below target for all but 3 subjects, DT recruitment collapses to 25% of target
    • High proportion of teachers leave after a few years
    • Bursaries having to be paid for shortage teachers
    What would I do if I were in government? Oh yes, cut teachers' pay. That'll solve the problem.

2. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

But the government are not cutting pay... Pay rates for teachers have never been higher and are increasing by 2%.... Where have I heard this rhetoric before?

agathamorse, Shedman and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

The money we should have been getting, where has it gone?

To pay off the deficit. Public sector workers paying off everyone's deficit on their behalf.

I guess that's what "We're all in this together" actually means.

I don't like Corbyn, but you know what, let's get him in. And if he gets in on public sector votes, and the economy gets screwed, maybe that'll just make us even. Because everyone else is voting to protect their own pockets, why shouldn't we.

Shedman and -Maximilian- like this.
  4. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Consider also that CPI does not take into account the increase in home-related expenses (mortgage increases, council tax, rent, buildings insurance, etc), so the effective pay cut for most people will be worse than @Shedman suggests.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The article headline reads
    Hinds: Schools can only afford a 2% teacher pay rise next year
    Warning follows unions' call for 5% pay rise, and reports that many teachers are not getting this year's increase

Schools can't afford the last pay increase, even though it wasn't for all teachers anyway. So they'll plead poverty for this one and have even more incentive to keep teachers away from UPS and down the MPS scale.

At least come the next general election our friend Damian can point out he's done 2 things for teacher recruitment and retention.

6. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

Blah, blah, blah, workload, recruitment and retention, blah, blah, blah and here’s another real terms pay cut. Thanks for all the hard work. Never trust a Tory! 10 years of below inflation increases. 15% loss in pay. Time to implement a full on work to rule and say stuff it!

Shedman, JohnJCazorla and lardylegs like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

I'm even more cynical about that getting sufficient support from teachers than I am about the Generous Damian actually doing us some good.

8. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Remember lots of teachers like working for low pay. Its their dream job to be next to children. Some this last year have not accepted a pay rise, because they were helping out the school budget.

9. JohnJCazorla

You are just saying this to wind me up aren't you? It's worked by the way.:mad:

I really hope you are because I just can't imagine the work slaves who do as you describe.:(

agathamorse likes this.
  10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Time for a jointly agreed vote across the two big unions, I'm certainly angry enough now to strike and keep striking as the railway workers have done. Even more in favour of a work to rule but don't believe that enough teachers would actually stick to it. We really are our own worst enemies. blah blah blah think of the children, or perhaps that is the job of their parents?

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Pedantic mode.

You cannot pay off a deficit. Deficits increase your overall debt.

Up to now all we have been doing is reducing the amount of annual increase in the debt.

12. ridleyrumpus

I thought that we had a work to rule and had done so for some time, trouble is Teachers are too satisfied with their lot to actually do anything.

I despair.

13. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

I despair as well. The NASUWT Action Short of Strike Action instructions are still valid, although they fall short of a full work to rule and are more to do with protecting employment rights/terms and conditions, which academies are stamping on all over the country. I am unsure whether the old NUT ones are still valid, due to their merger and becoming the NEU. Someone will have to enlighten me on that front.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  14. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Inflation 3%, pay rise 2% equals real terms pay cut of 1%.

And a lot of schools will plead poverty and not award any pay rise or go down the performance related pay route and make things up to justify not awarding pay rises.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/one-five-teachers-denied-national-pay-rise

Today's DfE submission to the Schools Teachers’ Review Body (STRB), which makes recommendations about teacher pay, warns that the government may not provide any additional funding to cover the pay award for the next academic year.

It states: "Although the government provided funding, through a teachers’ pay grant, to support the implementation of the 2018 award, it should not be assumed this will be the case again for the 2019 award.”

If teachers receive the 2 per cent pay award which the DfE has said is “affordable nationally”, but extra money is not provided, this could cause serious financial implications for schools.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  16. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Yup. That will solve the recruitment and retention crisis.

You could almost believe that the government are deliberately running down state education.

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I don't think there's any 'almost' about it.

agathamorse and Dorsetdreams like this.
  18. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Yes, I’m aware.

Internet shorthand. The point remains.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. ridleyrumpus

Sorry and I agree.

I remember a doc on the financial crisis asking politicians about the debt/deficit, a frightening number did not know the difference.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.