1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 out of 3 placements in special measures school?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by LiviAnne, Jan 12, 2011.

1. LiviAnne

LiviAnne New commenter

Hello
    I'm looking for some advice please.
    At my university we have three school experiences. They are trying out a new system in which SE1 and SE2 are in the same school.
    The school that I have been placed in went through OFSTED during my first placement and have been put into special measures. My university would like me to go back to the same school for my SE2.
    The reason for the school being put into special measures is due to many things not just the management, I think it includes the achievement of the pupils, the teaching and the extent to which they meet the diverse needs of the pupils.
    I don't want to cause a fuss or immediately say 'no' but I have a few concerns.
    Firstly what will it look like on my CV if I have 2/3 placements in a school in special measures. The school is in the area that I ideally would like to work so any school I apply to will know the situation.
    Secondly, I don't feel like my first experience went very well at all. I didn't feel very confident with the kids and don't think that my teaching came on very much at all. This was probably partly due to the OFSTED disruption, but also because the teaching and how I was expected to teach was very different from the way we have been taught in uni. I will be going to a different classroom with a different teacher, but I am very concerned about not making progress again.
    Thirdly, I have sacrificed a lot for this PGCE year and I want to learn as much as possible and get on the way to becoming a good teacher. Is a school that has so many problems really the place for me to do this?
    I have so many more concerns that I can write down here....
    On the other hand; it maybe good to be in a school that is improving, that way good practice will be highlighted etc; the teacher of the class that I am going to is very experienced and, I have been told, a good teacher; my uni find it very difficult to find placements for students and I have a young daughter and this school is in a very convenient locations.....
    Any advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks
    LiviAnne

2. LiviAnne

LiviAnne New commenter

Hello
    I'm looking for some advice please.
    At my university we have three school experiences. They are trying out a new system in which SE1 and SE2 are in the same school.
    The school that I have been placed in went through OFSTED during my first placement and have been put into special measures. My university would like me to go back to the same school for my SE2.
    The reason for the school being put into special measures is due to many things not just the management, I think it includes the achievement of the pupils, the teaching and the extent to which they meet the diverse needs of the pupils.
    I don't want to cause a fuss or immediately say 'no' but I have a few concerns.
    Firstly what will it look like on my CV if I have 2/3 placements in a school in special measures. The school is in the area that I ideally would like to work so any school I apply to will know the situation.
    Secondly, I don't feel like my first experience went very well at all. I didn't feel very confident with the kids and don't think that my teaching came on very much at all. This was probably partly due to the OFSTED disruption, but also because the teaching and how I was expected to teach was very different from the way we have been taught in uni. I will be going to a different classroom with a different teacher, but I am very concerned about not making progress again.
    Thirdly, I have sacrificed a lot for this PGCE year and I want to learn as much as possible and get on the way to becoming a good teacher. Is a school that has so many problems really the place for me to do this?
    I have so many more concerns that I can write down here....
    On the other hand; it maybe good to be in a school that is improving, that way good practice will be highlighted etc; the teacher of the class that I am going to is very experienced and, I have been told, a good teacher; my uni find it very difficult to find placements for students and I have a young daughter and this school is in a very convenient locations.....
    Any advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks
    LiviAnne

3. Hi there,
    I can understand what you must be concerned about but this could be an advantage to you also. I undertook a 4 year course at university with 4 placements, the last 2 years being in the same school. Throughout these placements, every school was different. That is what you must keep telling yourself.
    I had a really good first placement which made me more secure that teaching was for me but my second placement felt wrong the whole time as the teacher didn't want us there and the head teacher had to give her extra time off so that we could teach the class without problems.
    However, my final placements were in a school which had quite bad socially deprived backgrounds and bad behavioural problems as well as achievements, just staying out of special measures. Once adjusted to the life of the school, you adapt the way that you need to teach according to their needs. This could be very different in another school but this is normal for most teachers.
    By a Wednesday afternoon i had a sore throat from shouting, i was tired from constantly stopping lessons and was literally worn out more than once on both placements.
    The good thing that has came out of it however is when i go to interviews, i can talk about behaviour strategies i've found successful in such a challenging environment, discuss how i would ensure my class achieve if it was found that their assessments were lower than they should be, explain how even though it was such a challenging school, it made me want to try and make a difference to the pupils learning which i can take to any school i go to and lots more.
    I do understand how hard things are right now but if you are getting another placement, you never know what teh school is going to be like and it could be perfect for all you know right now. Once you have completed these placements you will look back and feel such a sense of achievement and more confident that you have been able to 'survive' such an experience.
    I now strive on the behaviour management and determination i have to work with children that have particular behavioural issues and try to improve them that i can take this to any school interview and they are impressed. I don't think i would have these factors if i hadn't been placed in such a challenging environment. I hope that you can find something positive also to come from yours.
    Any concerns you have should be talked through with your tutor at university and if you do carry on in the same school and anything happens, you have your initial concerns to fall back on.
    Good luck and hope it all works out. x