1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 or 3 meals to cook today

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by tassiegirl, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I'm about to go to the supermarket and need to buy food so I can make a few different meals to freeze as I'm too lazy to cook much during the week.

I fancy some pork but can't remember what to best cut is that would be versatile enough to slow roast and use in things like a stir fry or fajitas etc? Is it a shoulder?

2. I'm about to go to the supermarket and need to buy food so I can make a few different meals to freeze as I'm too lazy to cook much during the week.

I fancy some pork but can't remember what to best cut is that would be versatile enough to slow roast and use in things like a stir fry or fajitas etc? Is it a shoulder?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Leg or shoulder are most versatile.
    Cuts like loin or fillet are great for roasting or quick cooking, but will dry out in a slow braise, whereas hocks or belly are great for slow cooking but will still be tough after a quick cook.

4. As nick said, leg or shoulder.
    Don't choose loin or fillet - they are only for quick cooking.
    Belly pork is a very cheap cut but you must cook it slowely.
    The basic rule to remember is which part of the body does the meat come from - if it was used a lot, cook it slow, it was used a little, cook it quick.
    i.e. shoulder or legs, cook them slow, fillet (from the back) and loin (top of the leg) need quick cooking.
    Belly has no muscles and more fat - cook it slow for maximum taste.