1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 million children have done nothing... how much would they normally do?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Corvuscorax, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Another comparison thread... how many children do we hve coming into schools during normal times that do absolutly no work, or almost none, in a normal week?

christubbs and ridleyrumpus like this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

This is a rhetorical question, right?

3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

2 million

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

not entirely, I am just wondering how much of a difference there actually is. The claim is that 2 million children have done nothing becasue of school closures, There are probably dozens of childen in most schools that do nothing when schools are open, but it isn't a scandal when its out of sight.

What do you do with teens who point blank refuse to cooperate, don't attend detentions and actively hope to be suspended? There most be tens ofthousads of them across the country, maybe hundreds of thousands.

strawbs, agathamorse and ridleyrumpus like this.
  5. Corvuscorax

thats wht I mean - I do wonder if the number is actually much different to normal.

(although i don't expect it is actually 2 million now, or in normal times)

6. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

It's very rare for children to do no work in primary school in my experience. Some are capable of producing more work than others but as I said it is very rare for them to do nothing. In my current class, some needed a prod but they all worked whilst they were in school. Only a handful are completing all the work at home and about a third doing occasional work. A vast difference between in school and at home. I also expect them to correctly punctuate their writing and edit their work for spelling errors!

7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Whereas in secondary with some pupils it's like getting blood from a stone and whoa betide if you pull some up for it.

8. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Having worked in both primary and secondary schools I am amazed how many kids switch from reluctant workers to out and out work refusers.

I’ve only come across one total work refuser in Primary, but in secondary it was at least one per class. Ok, as a supply teacher you generally get the less cooperative classes, but I don’t think primary teachers really know how bad the refusal to work becomes in secondary.

9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Or the not quite refusal but shouty teenager refusing to accept that writing the title and date isn't an hour's work.

strawbs, agathamorse and Ellakits like this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The difference is that they aren't stopping other children from working now. So many people have told me how well their children are doing with no bullying or distractions in class, particularly children with disabilities. Many children say they are working 'less than 9-3.30' but getting a lot more done in that time.

11. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Sadly in many schools the less able children are put into classes with the disruptive work refusers.

12. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

In class I have 1 work refuser that takes a lot of coaxing into belieiving the can do the task before trying it. And a couple of reluctant others, but the rest conform and do their work, usually with great results.

Online, out of a class of 30, only 5 have submitted work consistently online. With maybe another 5 occasionally dipping in and out. 2 of the 10 are still working at a level that I would accept in class, the rest are turning in slapdash, hurried, really short pieces of work that I would totally not have accepted in class. Sometimes I return them with notes, but often it's pointless as I wouldn't then get it back.

I'm looking forward to being able to work with the children in school again properly, even if it has to be on a rota basis (Wales).

13. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

This is a good point I hadn't thought of.

I wonder how many work refusers have just been demotivated by constant testing and getting poor results? I had a school ask me to give bottom set Y7 a full GCSE Past Paper once to get the most rigorous data possible, not good for their confidence to get those results back even after carefully explaining that it was Y11 work.

I've had some success turning the work refusing mindset around in small groups but it's difficult in a full class and will be nearly impossible online.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I hope you don't expect that of posters on TES!

15. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

That is insane.

16. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

But if they do exactly the same GCSE exam once a year for 5 years, you have perfect data on their progress and students can see their percentage go up!

I think we do a lot of things with good intentions which psychologically make some students hate school.

phlogiston and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  17. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Leaving aside the horrendous demotivation issues....
    It's not perfect data at all, it measures their performance in that paper. They won't be taking that paper at 16.

A paper samples the specification, this paper will touch on some points and miss others, the mix will be different in the paper they sit in Y11.

18. Corvuscorax

We have to set GCSE questions across the board from day one at secondary as well. Its school policy. Its very silly, in my opinion. Although if you look on Mumsnet, its full of parents proudly boasting how far ahead their offspring must be, as they are being set GCSE questions already, at the age of 11.

Pomza and agathamorse like this.