1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 jobs...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fourleafclover, Jan 24, 2016.

1. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone out there had a teaching job and another non teaching job? I currently teach ks2 3 days a week and have seen an admin job for 2 days. I was thinking about going for it but wondered how I'd manage it with the teaching. At the moment I'm able to use the 2 days that I don't teach for planning and prep etc. Just wondered if anyone was in a similar situation and how do you find it? I don't want to teach full time and am actually thinking of leaving teaching come the summer if I get brave enough!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @fourleafclover , and welcome to the forum.

It will all depend, of course, on how the days fit in with the ones that you are doing. In theory as long as there's no clash (one or other might notice if you're only there every other Wednesday!), it should be fine.

Because if you are really spending two days preparing for three, you need to cut down on that, and this could be the way to ensure that you do!

Best wishes

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've mixed teaching and non-teaching (although still education) jobs, and liked it.
    Maybe, until the interview for the admin job, you should experiment with not allowing yourself to do any school work during the time you'd be working (perhaps use the time to decorate a room or something) to see how you feel about pushing all your prep work to the evenings.
    School work does sometimes expand to fill the time available. I know that when I have been busier, I've been better at making best use of the time I've had. You can sometimes mark a set of books more efficiently at 9pm the night before you need to give them back than at 9am on a full day off.

4. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I think you're right, if I've got less time to do things then maybe it'll train me to get it done quicker! I'm going to try and get my planning and stuff done in the evenings this week and see how I get on.
    Thanks again, you've given me the confidence to apply and see what happens.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!