1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 days vs 3 days

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by moonbeam1710, Apr 10, 2018.

1. moonbeam1710

moonbeam1710 New commenter

I am just about to return to work after maternity leave, part time 2 days a week. There is an option to go up to three days from September - which financially would be better for my family as we are saving to buy our own home. However I am worried about the increase in workload and how that will impact on family life/ young baby. Does anyone have experience of doing both and did you notice much difference in doing 2 and 3 days? Thanks in advance

2. Dannabelle

Dannabelle New commenter

I have worked 3 days in a school and I found it ideal. Still enough time to tire you but not exhaust you.
    However I was without kids and I think ultimately you need to decide if you would rather spend more then 50% of your working week at home during this special time or as an alternative more than 50% earning.
    I think the pay from 2 to 3 days would feel better if you can manage the time and work.
    The only other thing you might want to think about depending on how demanding your school is: you also have the risk of staying at 2 days but given the responsibilities of 3 days, so you might as well get paid.
    Good luck, can't wait to see what others say.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'd check what the three days would mean. If it's job-sharing on a reasonably equal footing, then the workload should only be 1.5 times two days. However a few people have found that the other two days have been covered by more than one person, or a deputy who doesn't really take on their share, or even an HLTA; they have ended up doing the lion's share of planning, assessment, etc.

4. lisa_maf

lisa_maf New commenter

Years ago I did a 3 day a week job which was perfect. 2 of the days were job sharing a class with another teacher, and the third was PPA cover across the school. The PPA day meant I had a lighter workload, could liase with my jobshare, as she was in that day, and plan for the 2 days with my class getting all my resources ready etc. Working as PPA cover enabled me to h=get to know other classes better, and I could spend a bit of time with my old class too! However now I work 2 days and sometimes I feel like I'm just getting going with my class, I'm just getting a good grasp of behaviour and then I have to leave! Some weeks I'd like to return the next day to follow up fallouts between kids, catch up on work and to have the extra after school time to prepare for the next week, although other weeks I'm glad to be going home and return to my family.
    Choose whatever you feel fits you best.