1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 days sick in the last week of term - do I need a doctors note?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tiles, Dec 21, 2012.

1. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me - and tell me perhaps where I can find the information.
    I have been off work for the last 2 days of this term. My school have told me I need a Doctors note as it runs into the holidays. Really? Surely I can self certify and put on the form Monday's date for when my illness finished regardless of whether it is the holidays or not. Please help!!

2. No you cannot be required to provide a fitness for work note unless your sickness continues for seven days. It does not matter whether the sickness adjoins holiday or not. That said many employers do have this in their policy and it is probably not worth fighting it under most circumstances. If, as they are entitled to, your GP charges a fee for producing unnecessary sick notes then your employer should refund this.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I had this a year or so ago. I emailed my headteacher explaining that I knew it was difficult when sickness ran into the holidays but to deem me fit to return to work on x date.
    I then texted him to tell him I'd emailed him regarding this so I had 2 lots of evidence to say I'd let the school know!
    It's a pain when illness is at the end of term but it can't be helped.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You'll only need a note if you're still off after the holiday.

5. What happens if a doctor signs you off during school holidays? I'm assuming that you lose that holiday entitlement?

6. You do need a sick note, without one you will lose pay.