1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 current students have asked their former teacher for help with my subject :(

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Angelil, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Feel perhaps unnecessarily hurt by this.

I know students can and do seek private tuition for any reason, but if they were struggling/felt I hadn't covered something they needed/wanted to go back over something again, I wish they had spoken to me.

To be honest I am surprised at these two as they are actually very capable, get good results, complete work, participate well etc in my subject.

Feel like I have in some way 'misread' them (whether personality-wise or in terms of where they are with their learning) in order for it to have come to this. They are 17 and of course know their own minds, but still...ouch. (Admittedly this coincides with a time of feeling disrespected and un(der)appreciated at work in general, but still.)

Luckily my colleague has been quite supportive on this matter and informed me as soon as they approached her. She said she's happy to help if I'm OK with it (even though she admits she doesn't know the play we're currently studying...) and to encourage them to talk to me more if they are stuck.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me and I am keen for it to not happen again. Any tips for assessing student progress and learning so that I can better track any student anxieties about the subject? I already use self-assessments, peer assessments, small-group work, whole-class discussions that involve chucking a ball round the room so that more kids want to answer...! I gained QTS last year but have been teaching since 2008. I recognise that this is not a lot of experience really and am keen to still learn and improve upon my practice. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, by the way. Thanks for any help anyone can give.