1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2 and a half weeks in and I can't cope

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lemonyk, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hello

I started my NQT in a reception class this term and only 2 and a half weeks in I feel like I am not coping well at all. I am in a one form entry school and have to plan and prepare all resources completely on my own. I have spent the past 3 weekends working solidly and still feel like I am playing catch up during the week to get everything done. I am so exhausted every evening after school and feel as though I have no time at the weekends to do anything for myself.
    What I really want to know is does this get easier or is this a sign of things to come. If it is then I am really not sure that I am cut out for teaching at all as I don't feel it is worth all the stress and worry that I am going through!

Some advice would be very much appreciated!

2. Hello

I started my NQT in a reception class this term and only 2 and a half weeks in I feel like I am not coping well at all. I am in a one form entry school and have to plan and prepare all resources completely on my own. I have spent the past 3 weekends working solidly and still feel like I am playing catch up during the week to get everything done. I am so exhausted every evening after school and feel as though I have no time at the weekends to do anything for myself.
    What I really want to know is does this get easier or is this a sign of things to come. If it is then I am really not sure that I am cut out for teaching at all as I don't feel it is worth all the stress and worry that I am going through!

Some advice would be very much appreciated!

3. Can't offer answers but understand exactly how you feel. I'm in a one form entry school as an NQT starting this term too and feel very isolated as everyone else has been there a while and knows the format, rules and resources available. I'm in KS2 and only I get 2 mornings TA support so feel very much out on a limb. I do think it will get better. Hang on in there!

4. Just have a browse of this forum to see that you are not alone in feeling like this. Many other NQTs who started in September also felt like they were struggling but many have pulled through once they have adjusted to the demands of the job.
    The only advice I would give is to speak to your NQT mentor about your feelings to make then aware.
    It does get easier with experience but it never gets easy.

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

First off try not to panic!!!
    The first few weeks are a shock to the system. Were you on supply last term? If so the jump in workload is massive.
    If you feel work is overloading you have a look at the resources on TES. They have saved me so much time this past term when it comes to planning lessons.
    You are not the only person to feel like this, I promise you. I was exactly the same on my second uni placement. In school 8-4, library 4:30-9 and all weekend/half term/Easter/Bank Holiday and it nearly ruined it for me. I vowed then to not let the job become more important than my life because I know that I am a better teacher when I am more relaxed.

It will take you a few more weeks to get the class organised to how you want, your systems in place and everything running properly. It will happen, I promise you. Plus, there is only 4 weeks to half term!!!

xx

6. Hang on in there! Keep us posted!!!

7. Sorry I didn't mean to quote this but can't work out how to just write a reply. Thank you all for your advice and support, I just feel quite alone at the school and like I am just expected to know what I am doing and get on with it. I also have the constant feeling that I am not doing it quite right and that someone else could be doing a much better job and supporting the children where they need it!
    I have my first NQT ob tomorrow and am dreading being told that I have got it completely wrong. I am in reception but this is my first experience of teaching this age group and planning with the EYFS framework.
    I am trying to hang on but I really just don't know if it is for me. As I constantly worrying I am not enjoying being at school and don't look forward to going in in the mornings. I will try my best to keep going and will keep you updated :) fingers crossed!

8. I started my NQT in September in Year 2 and I remember feeling just the same way at the beginning. It will get easier. Hang in there. I am working much fewer hours than in September as I am getting much more efficient and realistic about what I can do.
    I did my GTP in a reception class, so might have some ideas and stuff if you need help. Don't do things from scratch unless you have to. There are lots of good ideas on the resource bank and other sites, so keep your planning time to a minimum. I also reduced the amount of long observations to doing them just on those children I wanted to track etc and this was backed up by advice from our early years advisers.
    Keep at it, it will get easier.

9. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New commenter

Hello lemonyk,

As an NQT in Reception myself I can honestly say that I can see alot of what you are saying when I started in September. Let me try and give you some words of advice which have helped save my sanity.
    1) Continuous dialogue with your mentor. Don't approach him/her when it is too late. You would not have got through a PGCE/BEd if you were not a good teacher. The fact that you were employed must show to you that there was a spark you had/have which appeal to the school. Find that spark!
    2) Prioritise workload - What is essential? What can be left? Who is it benefiting with you spending five hours on a resource for a Thursday afternoon focus activity? It isn't benefiting you, or your children if you are continually tired.
    3) Break your week up by doing something unrelated to your job on a week night. Trust me. Every Tuesday night I go out, have a drink and a wind down with friends. Yes I might talk about the job but I'm aware that I do not want to spend my life talking about teaching.
    4) Linked to number two really - don't reinvent the wheel. Use resource sites such as TES and ******. I can also give you some other links if you want to PM me.
    5) Remember that at first it does all seem daunting. Even though you are on your own, you have a lot more scope for making your classroom work just how you want. When it comes to observations - try and remember a few areas of the EYFS scale off by heart. Don't write 30 individual observations saying 'sang 10 green bottles' from memory (CD4). Type it up, stick it on labels and then transfer these to their books.
    I'm sure others can help more than I can. I just wanted you to know that we all get stressed from time to time in teaching but it's how we deal with this that is the important aspect. Take what I have said on board and the best of luck.
    Ben

10. Hi,
    Sorry to hear your feeling that way. I started my NQT year at Christmas too. I have spent most of the last two weeks feeling like quitting. I am in a two form entry so am getting a lot of support from my teaching colleague. I can imagine how difficult 1 form entry is. I am finding I am slowly finding my feet. The only advice I can offer is this.
    1. Speak to your mentor/head/someone at school. It's amazing how much it just helps to admit that your struggling. All teachers have bad days. This year is going to be a steep learining curve. I found just talking to smeone at school helped reassure me I wasn't doing as bad a job as I thought.
    2. Use resources that are available out there. No point reinnventing the wheel.
    3. Prioritise your workload. At this point I am trying to keep marking up to date and make sure I am well planned and focus on setting up routines/my classroom as I want. I was told by my deputy head not to worry about keeping all the balls in the air yet. Decide your priorities and focus on those.
    4. Make sure you have have some time to yourself to do thngs for you. I always try to do something non school related that I enjoy each day. Even if its just wallking to the shop for a bar of chocolate or a newspaper. It really does help to keep some me time for yourself.
    It will get better even over the last week I have found things easier and me finding my feet and starting to settle in. It will get better although I know there will always be bad days the good days are getting more frequent and I am starting to feel like I will survive until half term.
    Let us know how you get on and be reassured there is at least one other NQT in the world who has days when they are feeling completely overwhelmed!