1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2.75% pay award?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, Nov 27, 2019.

1. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hi,
    Can I ask if you awarded the 2.75% across the pay ranges and if not did you simply apply only to the statutory minimum?

My budget won't sustain a rise for all teachers and whilst that makes me feel so guilty it's better than redundancy and a gaping deficit budget.

My challenge will be keeping teachers where schools around me have made the decision to pay teachers more despite their budgets.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You can't pick and choose as it will imply favouritism.
    If redundancies can't be avoided then start the process but you need to call an emergency governor or budget meeting and look for any cuts you can make.

You could always call a confidential staff meeting and tell them how serious the budget problem is, looking to reduce supply, stationery, outside provider coverage etc.

3. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

Our Governors decided to apply the 2.75% across all staff despite the impact on our budget. The rationale was the school improvement journey we are on, where we need to get to and the importance of retaining and valuing the staff that we have. I was then honest with staff about how difficuclt the budget is and everyone is pulling together to reduce spend and to seek fund raising opportunities. We could well have difficult decisions to make in the future, but if we do, it will be because we have explored and maximised every single opportunity before then.

strawbs and welshwales like this.
  4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

As HT I recommended to governors we applied the rise across the board, costing it to show how little impact of had in the grand scheme of things, but how much it would matter to those getting it. They accepted the arguments.

strawbs likes this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes, we did.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

My school did.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

So did we. Recruitment is hard enough in my area, I don't want to be competing against the school down the road any more than I have to!

8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

9. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Will you be expecting a pay rise? As you are the highest paid member of staff, how much more will you be getting than the ordinary classroom bods?