1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£2.4m being spent on 'gender balance in computing'

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by clickschool, Apr 30, 2019.

1. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

https://blog.teachcomputing.org/new-gender-balance-in-computing-project-announced/

It seems like an awful lot of money. Studies suggest it'll have to change the entire culture of the nation to be successful...
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5338649_Diversity_Culture_gender_and_math

I think, if anything, equal opportunity is key - exposing all genders of students to a healthy balance of professionals. I don't think solely focusing on girls is the answer. Not that I've solved the issue myself!

It'll be interesting to see exactly how the money will be spent...and if the investment makes a difference.

Is anyone out there involved in this? It would be good to hear from you.

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Easy answer to creating Gender balance, make Computer Science a core subject, rather than foundation, in the same way that Physics, Chemistry and Biology are in KS3. In KS4 make sure all schools allow students to choose from the 4 sciences rather than putting Computer Science in to the final bucket and forcing all students to do either triple or double science, with CS as a bolt on. A good key stage 3 will improve numbers and results but the vast majority of schools think 1 hour a week, or some weird carousel is suffice to get progress in a new subject. CS is still treated as a second class citizen by many

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Girls/women and boys/men tend to approach computing in different ways. Both love using them but boys are more self-reliant in trying to work out how to get devices to do what they want whereas girls simply find someone who can and ask them to show how ( or do it for them). Despite a lot of male dominance in industry, I have had a female programming manager and departmental manager. The majority though end up in operations and data preparation. If you need good female role models the two great ones are Lady Lovelace who worked alongside Charles Babbage and Grace Hopper who worked in the Navy and did pioneering work on COBOL (Common Business Orientated Language) ( my favourite language - sadly abandoned ). Another good example is the CEO of HP Carla Fiorina (1999-2005).

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Both of them.

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

All three of them, and what about gay and disabled programmers? Shouldn't we also spend a bit of cash promoting computing to left handed people, the idiot classes (politicians and SLT mainly) and how about pets?

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  6. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I wonder how much has been spent over the past few decades on this ? To absolutely no (or at least very limited) effect
    I've always believed that students, of whatever gender, don't choose to study CS because they are astute enough to realise that it is a very dull and tedious subject - especially at GCSE and A level. and that they would be better served - in all respects - pursuing and studying something much more useful, interesting and enjoyable

ParakeetGreen likes this.