1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2/3 Seperate Sciences

Discussion in 'Science' started by betseyanna, Jun 20, 2018.

1. betseyanna

betseyanna New commenter

So I'm just looking for peoples opinions really. My head of science and SLT have decided to enter our GCSE classes in for Triple award (seperate sciences) but sets 3-5 to only study two of the 3, e.g. one biology chemistry class, one chemistry physics class and one biology physics class.

How do you feel about this?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Is it allowed in English schools to drrop a science?

And if so, are the kids going to get a choice?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I'd have them doing separate sciences. Much better course that seperate sciences.

ananke likes this.
  4. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

I would check if that's allowed, I think its like English where students have to be entered for all of them for them to count in progress 8.

Put the best kids in for triple and teach combined to the ones that aren't up to it.

5. emkay

emkay New commenter

The guys at AQA told me that unless all three triple exams are taken, then they would not count towards P8. However, they would count towards A8.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think this has been done before. Study 2 science but enter for three. Not sure where the advantage is unless it is in teacher time available. But if that is the case why not do combined?

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

?

8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If you are a state school (non-academy) that is not allowed as you will not be following the National Curriculum for Science which requires all students to complete a balanced Science course.

emmatemp and phlogiston like this.
  9. emkay

emkay New commenter

Entry level will cover the National Curriculum but it does not count to P8

10. ananke

ananke New commenter

It's a spelling thing!

11. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

Sorry If I sound stupid but what does p8 mean? I’m not familiar with the new gcse science course as I’ve been away for 3 years and am trying to get up to speed on the new changes etc-

12. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

p8 is progress 8. It is a score looking at how your attainment compares to your predicted attainment. The attainment 8 score is calculated from the grades in English (doubled if literature is also taken) and Maths (doubled), 3 of the EBACC subjects (Sciences, Computing, Languages and Humanities) and 3 open slots (can be EBACC or non-EBACC subjects).

The progress 8 score indicates how well the school does compared to predictions based on prior data. A score of 0 means that students have made expected progress, a score of 1 means that students have, on average, achieved 1 grade higher than predictions in all GCSE subjects, -1 means they have achieved one grade lower.

Schools with progress 8 of -0.5 or less are likely to get an OfSTED visit.

emmatemp likes this.
  13. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

Thank you for explaining this so well- much appreciated.

14. rich_hodgetts

rich_hodgetts New commenter

As far as I am concerned, all students in state school should study Science. That means a broad curriculum of all three main disciplines.

If it comes to light that a significant number of schools are again 'gaming' the exam system (like the old days of early entry and endless resits) I hope it gets spotted and stopped pretty quick.