1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1st time AQA exam marking GCSE English Lit.

Discussion in 'English' started by pastyprincess, May 8, 2012.

1. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Please can any markers let me know what will happen to my student who tells me he wrote responses to BOTH of the Inspector Calls essays, as well as his Mice and Men response? (THIS is why paying teachers by results would be unfair - pupil is worth 4% of my results for this group!)
    Will both be marked and best one count? Or is there a different way you approach this?

2. In my experience (I mark foundation poetry and get lots of students who answer every question on the paper available) we input all the scores for each of the questions done and the computer automatically selects the highest one from each section. Quite friendly, really. It's just the examiners who get cross because they have more to mark!

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Thanks for the reply sarahmm. Apologies for the extra marking [​IMG] but you should be OK because he is higher tier. (In which case, apologies for those marking higher - although I'm guessing both essays will be pretty brief!)

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This happened with one of mine for his Lang paper on the legacy last year - poor examiner had 4 short essays instead of one long one :)

5. cheerysocks

cheerysocks New commenter

in a mock years ago one of mine answered all the questions- and accused me of not teaching him the right things (probably a fair point )
    I laughed when i saw he did better on stuff we deffo hadnt studied. [​IMG]
    Passed the real one thought. Bless him.

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Sorry to pour cold water on this thread but I suggest you check your contracts. You are expressly forbidden to discuss any aspect of the exam marking process on social websites.

7. In view of this, we have had to remove certain posts from this thread.

8. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I understand why this might concern AQA, but wonder why it should prompt such action from an impartial third party.

Oh, hang on...

9. Oops sorry if my posts were not suitable for an open forum. Iheartcoffee have tried to message you privately but it isn't working, if you want to get in touch then this username is the same as my yahoo uk email address. If that's allowed. Wish there was a private markers forum somewhere I could ask all my silly questions to without keep bothering the team leader.
    Hope this isn't breaking any rules but I wanted to know am I supposed to put the question numbers and totals on the front of the paper even though it says 'office use'? Do I count as 'office' or is that someone somewhere else in AQA HQ?

10. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Miss m, make a list of all your questions and ask your team leader. While he or she won't want to be answering your questions every day, they understand that new markers will have lots of queries. I haven't marked for the new spec but we always used to put question numbers and marks on the front page; in fact we were required to. When it started to go online, we still had to do this, but we no longer had to total the marks. I'm sure the last time I marked, we still had to number the papers and initial them. Email or ring your team leader, though - there used to be a requirement for TLs to contact everyone once a week but I only had one TL who did this. Most assume you're doing OK unless you contact them.

11. Thanks Gloria, I did as you suggested and made an email list, waited til I had a few more queries so I wasn't bugging the TL constantly. Think I am getting it now!

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

And beware of updating your Facebook status whilst marking. When I was marking two years ago, I kept updating my status with silly little quips like:
    "Only 350 to go, yippeeee!"
    "I never want to read another essay ever".
    "Can't wait to finish my marking tonight and have a big glass of wine"
    Someone on my friends list didn't think this was suitable and I received a rather abrupt and threatening letter from AQA about posting on social networking sites. There was nothing that identified any student or school, and I was merely posting about myself and how I was feeling about the marking, as opposed to quotes from essays etc, but some busybody felt the need to tell AQA. I know who it was as well: a friend's mother who is also an AQA English examiner. I still dont; see what the problem was, but there you go.

13. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I don't know wht it's like under the new spec, but on the lagacy spec, we were told to mark everything, enter all marks on emarker and then the system would automatically select the highest marks. And you had to write 'rubric' on the script. But the highest marks counted. The longest essay isn't necessarily the best one, especially on Literature. The shorter one may be more analytical, going into more depth on just one or two points, as opposed to PEEing methodically about lots of points.

14. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I agree with this. You should check with your team leader, but it's surely your job to mark everything on the paper, and then to have the better mark count.

16. Ema768

Ema768 New commenter

I get up to 30 a day at the weekends and through half term and 15 after work!! Oh the joys of making extra money! Although mine is paying for a fortnight in Florida-last years paid for the holiday; this year is the spends!!!