1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1st Teacher Practice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by katnoodle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

My tips are generic as I'm a secondary NQT, but here goes:

1) Be modest and expect to learn. Sounds obvious to most people, but some trainees go into their placement thinking they know it all - the worst even pass negative judgement on experienced teachers! It definitely rubs people up the wrong way, even if you don't realise you're doing it.

2) Be helpful and thoughtful to those you work with. Making a cuppa for busy teachers and knowing when not to bother them with something that isn't urgent goes a long way.

3) Be friendly and pleasant to all staff in the school - not just teachers. You never know when you'll need their help, and in my experience some react badly to feeling unappreciated (very understandable!)

4) Know what your mentor should be doing to support you and make sure they're doing it. While this might come into conflict with 2) sometimes, you do need to be assertive. Unfortunately many schools would rather not offer placements but do anyway, for various reasons, and sometimes mentors aren't forthcoming with guidance or just don't have the time and/or training to give you all the support you need.

5) Get as many observations under your belt as you can. For secondary this means other subjects and a range of key stages, to benefit future job applications - it shows a wider experience. For primary, try to observe as many year groups and as many lessons as you can.

6) Get involved with the extra-curricular stuff at school. This will benefit your CV, relationships with staff and students, and generally make you feel part of the school.

7) Find out as much as you can about existing schemes of work and resources. Don't spend a disproportionate amount of time 'reinventing the wheel' - unless it's for an assessed lesson.

Good luck!

2. Thanks a bundle, really good tips!
    I ewas wondering if I should plan a starter lesson around 'getting to know me', what do you think?