1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1st rant of the new term

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by lescargot, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Well, we are nearly a week in after all!!
    Our dept has been 'moved' into a new wing of the school. 'Great' I hear you say - new equipment and classrooms, all state of the art etc etc. BUT, the classrooms were not ready until the absolute last minute meaning desks/storage cupboards/shelves have been being delivered all week. We have been totally uprooted, and had to move base as well. New base is MILES from our new rooms (I'm not exaggerating, I have to go through 3 other departments to get to the base!!).
    We have no storage yet for the new rooms meaning we are trying to work out of cardboard boxes. Trying to find the prelims for higher appeals was just fun fun fun!! PC's in our base are not networked meaning we have no access to dept documents, resources etc.
    To add insult to injury we still only have 4 rooms and 6 members of staff in the dept meaning (for the 3rd year running) I am peripatetic and having to lug all my stuff back and forth all the time, only making the long journey to our new base all the more arduous.
    I am sure all the debris we have lying around is a health and safety hazard. Also, when are we expected to sort all this out and unpack? Oh, that's right we've to stay behind after school or come in at the weekend - no chance of getting time off timetable. Add to this the palpable resentment from colleagues because we are so 'lucky' to have the new rooms and I honestly feel like going off with stress and we're only 3 days in!! As usual, none of my problems are actually related to me doing my job or the pupils....someone make the bad man stop!!!!

2. Be thankful you have a job! [​IMG]

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Ignore post 2 jenmac - you have my sympathies and it will get better - it always seems to happen like this and in a couple of weeks' time life will be rosy again. Your priority is your teaching of young people and can they not help in this re-org?

4. I do feel sorry for you and can't really see the point in having a base nowhere near the rooms. We have the same problem with our base being on the 3rd floor and we're on the 1st.
    Though I have to say the 4 rooms / 6 teachers is becoming more and more the norm. Schools don't want teachers to have their own room they want the minimum number of rooms possible. Which results in more and more teachers having multiple rooms.

5. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I agree about ignoring post 2. It is a pain not having your own room. For the first time in ages its hanppening to me. My nursery class is sharing with an after school club! New does not necessarily mean better. We have no pinboarding but are not supposed to put anything on the wall with blutac staples pins etc so how I'm supposed to display chidren's work is anyones guess, I could rant on and on and on. But am going to settle down and watch Ben Affleck on the TV! At least thats the first week in!

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I assume the boxes would have been delivered by janitorial staff but the teachers have to pack them and unpack them. If the new rooms are not as yet properly ready with shelving set out,it makes the teacher's life much harder. It also sounds as if,because it was just a department moving,the Op was not given pupils free moving days and they are expected to sort things out after school. As for the base and the lack of rooms,it sounds like they got a pretty bad deal.

7. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Yes, you are right. They moved all the boxes for us. There is an update - new desks arrived on Thursday morning and new filing cabinets/metal cupboards. So, we have managed to move most of the resources round from the base to our teaching area. This is a start - we had to get pupils to help us do this, not ideal in my opinion. We still have no suspension files for cabinets so can't unpack individual resources and our bookshelves have no brackets so can't get textbooks etc sorted.
    There is a base right beside our rooms but this has been given to another dept who have not had a base for years (the base sits between our rooms and theirs).
    We have moved from 4 rooms to 4 rooms. I don't share a room - I use all 4 rooms in the dept and sometimes am outwith the dept also, so completely peripatetic.
    We are getting new listening equipment which is very expensive but where that is going to be put and how we are going to manage it with accommodation so tight is anyone's guess. For a language lab to work effectively, it really has to be situated in its' own room but we don't have that luxury.