1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1st Pregnancy, early stages but lots of advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kissykissy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hi all,

3 days in to the lovely summer holidays i began to feel a little 'ill', coupled with the fact that my period was late (although very hard to rely on this fact as my cycle seeemed to be all over the place since coming off the pill when I got married).However,intrigue and anticipation took over and I did a test (well, actually, I did 3 [​IMG]) and to me delight discovered I was indeed 'In the club'.
    We are pretty sure we know the conception date (I wont go into reasons!) but the doctor put me as another 3 wks ahead by using the first day of my last period. So, i'm slightly confused on what stage of developments I should be consulting (from the numerous baby mags I seem to have surrounded myself with over the past couple of wks!)
    1) I believe I am just 6 weeks (doc says 9) but I understand the 12 wk scan will confirm?
    2) I DID have really sore boobs but now they seem fine, is that normal? This is worrying me somewhat.
    3) No sickness, although waves of nausea mainly at night?
    4) Headaches seem more prevalent?
    5) Some slight cramping and 'odd movement feelings' but no bleeding (so far), is that ok?
    Sorry if i sound like some rambling fool, but as this is my first i am so excited yet nervous that I seem to be tying myself in knots, which, in itself I am sure is probably not very healthy.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    x

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

They always date you at first from the first day of your last period and then at the 12 week scan they either confirm or change it. With my first baby the date stayed the same and he ended up being 10 days late! With my 2nd baby they moved my date 5 days back and she was still 12 days late!
    Symptoms are different for everyone, and they can come and go. I don't remember having sore boobs either time. I felt nauseous in my first pregnancy from weeks 6-10 but I was never actually sick, and i wasn't affected by smells or anything. I felt nauseous from weeks 6-14 with my 2nd, and threw up twice, but overall felt a lot worse and much more tired (although that could've had something to do with looking after an energetic toddler!).
    That can happen. I had a few in my 2nd pregnancy.
    Think so! I had bleeding in both my pregnancies early on, and i have 2 healthy children!
    What's your due date? I'm assuming March? I was about 5 weeks pregnant this time last year!
    Good luck!

3. Unless you know exactly when you ovulated it is difficult to know the conception date as it is not necessarily when you had relations as sperm can live inside you for 5 days. Doctors date pregnancies from the first day of your last period in the first instance but this is not very accurate for women with irregular cycles. The real age of your pregnancy is the time since ovulation plus two weeks.
    I'm in my 8th week with my first and also had sore boobs in the beginning but that symptom has gone now. It worried me a lot too but I had a scan on Monday and everything was fine so I think it is one of those things that comes and goes.
    I have also had no sickness but waves of nausea in the evenings. You might be lucky and not get sickness or you might get it later on. Maybe people don't start getting nausea until around 8 weeks (I found this out by trawling the forums looking for info as I was worried about it too!)
    It is common to experience more headaches. It doesn't happen to everyone but it is very common, Maybe you're suffering more with this and less with nausea!
    From what I have read, most people experience cramping to some degree. I constanty felt as if AF was going to arrive for the first couple of weeks but now I just get the odd twinge.

4. Thanks both, your comments are both re-assuring and comforting. I guess most people are slightly more nervous with their first; the not knowing and google certainly don't help (i've decided to steer clear of google for the time being as it sends me slightly more paranoid!)
    Yes - March is when the Doc predicted - this co-incides with being bridesmaid too which isn't ideal but i'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it (hopefully after a positive response from the 12 wk scan).
    Thanks again
    x

5. Kissykissy come and join the Spring Babies 2012 thread, then we can all go through it together!

All The best

6. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Many congratulations. The 12 wk scan will tell you how many wks you are. The whole bridesmaid thing might be interesting if the doc is right!
    I also had really really sore boobs at first, but that stopped pretty soon...not sure when.
    I had nausea all the time, and I mean ALL the time for the first 22 wks bit was only actually sick twice. Also went off most food and drink. How are you doing with that? It was more like a permanent hangover to be honest so I guess we can include headaches in that too.
    I don't recall any cramping but I believe that is normal and I had no bleeding at all...maybe I was lucky there, I don't know.
    Presumably as the doc says you're 9 wks not 6, ul be getting your 12 wk scan pretty soon? What date is it? If you have any more questions feel free to message.

7. Ah thanks guys, again very helpful to hear from those who are in the know.
    Just seem to be feeling fairly ok most of the time, apart from the issues i mentioned in previous post. I think I was expecting to feel/be sick. It seems to come and go, i'm hoping im just one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to suffer all the horrid first tri side effects...
    I have 1st appt with midwife the 1st Thurs we are back at school and hopfully scan shortly after but haven't had a date yet.

Fingers crossed, just want everything to be ok, will skip across to the Spring Babies 2012 club now!
    Thanks agan
    x