1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1st lesson with year 10s

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, Aug 23, 2011.

1. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I'm not sure what to do with them, with ks3 I'm doing getting to know each other, and experimental skills, lab safety more fluffy stuff.
    But i don't think that's appropriate with year 10s, they have their GCSEs in November, don't want to waste time. However I am going to outline my expectations although that will only take about 10minute, I don't think i'll be able to do a whole lesson because of the faffing about at the beginning, seating plan etc and don't want to do 3/4 of a lesson then pick off where I left next lesson because it doesn't really fit in with the rigid structure of lessons at my school. Any ideas how I can fill a first lesson for year 10s?

I am a new teacher at the school so I do have to do the expectation bit

2. What specification and topic are you starting on?

3. scienceteacher11

edexcel, classification

4. I just crack on with the lesson - only takes them 2 minutes to hear what I have to say about what I expect. My cbildren have had to write down class rules in some lessons - what's that all about then? Bring theri equipment, don't talk etc - they would be in big trouble at home if they didn't do that as a basic!

5. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Personally I would take longer on the expectation bit. You need them to know that you know the expectations of the school and that they aren't going to pull the wool over your eyes. They probably don't realise they are taking the first part of their GCSE in November - might be an idea to spell out what that means. I would ask over in science for a good activity for the first lesson.

6. scienceteacher11

Yea think my exPectations will take 10 minutes And outline of lesson will take another 5 to 10.so after say 30mins of all that initial stuff, I'll have an hour left -I could try and teach them a lesson in that hour and condense the usual 90min lesson to 60

7. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

This year, as I'm not totally convinced of the usefulness of the assessment data from the end of year 9, I'm going to spend the first week or so on diagnostic activities (tests, basically!) related to material from the whole course. From an English point of view, the fact that they got XX% in their Year 9 exam tells me nothing about their accuracy, how well they write in a given genre, how they cope with Shakespeare, etc, so I need to see it myself.

It will take you a little while to prepare, but it will mean that what goes on in the lesson will be useful to you. It will take up however much time you want - and, crucially, it will set off the tone for the rest of the year by having them work in silence, and also drumming home to them "aargh - I've actually got to do some work this year!"

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Sorry for the double post, but I just read your other thread about them. If they are a tough class then I really think having them work in silence will get things off to a good start.