1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1st lesson back after half term

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Mackem85, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I've just finished my first double lesson back after half term (2nd week on my second teaching placement). The lessons I taught before half term went well, however my class this morning was an absolute disaster.

The lesson was delayed by 20 minutes due to an assembly and issues with logging onto the system. I was then thrown by the delayed start, tried to turn my lesson around content wise to fit the time better, and it just didnt work. I managed to drag it back a bit in the end, but I just lost the track of everything. Some girls were chatting over others and I just didnt seem to have the ability to get through to them, and the class teacher had to take responsibility for managing their behaviour in the end.

I had a terrible lesson and feel completely dejected after it,

Has anyone else felt this after half term?

2. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I've just finished my first double lesson back after half term (2nd week on my second teaching placement). The lessons I taught before half term went well, however my class this morning was an absolute disaster.

The lesson was delayed by 20 minutes due to an assembly and issues with logging onto the system. I was then thrown by the delayed start, tried to turn my lesson around content wise to fit the time better, and it just didnt work. I managed to drag it back a bit in the end, but I just lost the track of everything. Some girls were chatting over others and I just didnt seem to have the ability to get through to them, and the class teacher had to take responsibility for managing their behaviour in the end.

I had a terrible lesson and feel completely dejected after it,

Has anyone else felt this after half term?

3. RGJM2012

RGJM2012 New commenter

I cried doing my planning at the weekend worrying about this week, I cried on the way to school worrying about it all and I have cried since I got home. My first two lessons were very dry even though I'd planned for them to be interactive and interesting, tomorrow I am teaching all day and have my Uni tutor visiting this week and I am dreading it. If I could quit I would. I am tired, stressed and feel behind all the time. Whenever we are back at Uni it feels as though everyone else is miles ahead, I have a file entitled 'evidence' with nothing in it at present as I don't know where to start. My new mentor doesn't like paperwork so I haven't had my written feedback my observed lesson before half term but I did get asked to change things on my planning at about midnight when they eventually got back to me last night. I had about 2 hours sleep worrying about everything and I know I am falling behind in every aspect of my life. I feel so demotivated and rubbish about it all!
    :(

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Me.
    Fire alarm at lunch in the rain and year 10 were feral last lesson.
    I've been teaching 11 years - it happens to us all.
    It's one lesson. Look at it objectively and think about what the problems were, and how you could have fixed them. Learn from it and move on. It's not the end of the world.

5. I'm really sorry you have had a bad day. you are not alone. I cried in front of my mentor after my lesson went completely pear-shaped and I've cried since I've got home. I've got to adjust what I've got planned tomorrow and also try and spend some time with my own children. I too am in my second week of my first assessed placement. My confidence is slowly being eroded away and I feel overwhelmed, stressed and not sleeping too. I hope your week picks up. I'm glad I am not alone. I can't believe life appears to be so difficult at the moment - I hope it passes.

6. Not having a fun time are we! I ended up in tears yet again today because of various things. My mentor does take the time to speak to me but I always end up feeling very low about my ability. The lesson evaluations take so much time to write up too. It is a very hard and challenging time. I am hoping that I (and you guys too) very soon have some positive things to report. We must keep going as we have come this far. I'm glad I'm not alone. Have you had other placements before this one? I had a placement (non assessed) in another school before and left there feeling really positive. I'm not sure whether it is the pressure of the assessments now or the school or the key stage that is challenging me so much. Keep going and I wish us all luck.

7. RGJM2012

RGJM2012 New commenter

I got to work at 7.30 this morning and left at 6.50pm. I didn't manage to eat or drink anything all day as I taught all day and covered for another teach first thing, at lunch I had a group wanting to continue something I had started in an earlier lesson but it needed supervision so that was lunch out of the window and I had to mark the 90 books from todays lessons before I left as they have to be marked daily. Luckily tonight my children were at a friends house after school so I didnt have to collect and feed them. I still have lessons to tweak for tomorrow. I am not even sure I am doing the lesson evaluations correctly, I am doing it as AFL in note form. I am seeing my mentor from Uni this week so I am sure I will be told if I am doing it wrong. I was observed today, will be observed again on Thursday too. Knackered would be one word!

8. I'm an NQT and my first lesson back was not great either I had lost the swing of things and wasn't as prepared as I thought. Your training is going to be hard and you're going to feel like you haven't got a life as there is so much to think about. But things will come to you in time.

If you feel like that about your mentor then talk to your course leader. Mentors need to be understanding and should give their time up for you, they took the option of having a trainee. If yours is not pulling there weight you need someone who is going to give you the time in order for you to grow and get better!

9. Dear All,
    I am so thankful for this forum and knowing that it is not just me having horrible lessons and feeling bad about not giving my child the attention she deserves.We'll get through this!!!! Looking at the bright side, I am shedding of lots of pounds by not having the time nor energy to eat!
    Steffi

10. wendyw00

wendyw00 New commenter

Oh my goodness Ihave been thinking It's just me!!! I feel very paniced by this placement, last time I only taught KS3, whereas now I've been given 8 classes 7 of which are top top classes and feel petrified at the prospect- not only am I worried about the usual lesson planning but also making sure I understand the topic on a higher level than I need to teach (most topics are completely new to me and don't want to ask for help as I don't want anyone to think I'm really stupid)- I had year 7 yesterday who are all very bright- although I didn't get all I had planned done, they were really engaged, so todays aim when teaching my year 10 set 2 was to ensure I completed my plan (which I kinda did) but it was like pulling teeth so I feel worried about the rest of their lessons, there are 6 of us trainees at the school and I feel worse as none of them seem to be feeling the same.
    In addition to feeling like I'm not anything near brilliant, I feel guilty about not being the best mum to my 3 daughters! I know/hope we all pull through and do brilliantlly!!
    On another note- any suggestions on how to handle having a pupil who can't read in year 10 but no LSA?? The teacher said I can dictate to him and give him writing frames...I have checked his reading and spelling scores both are below 70 which to me suggests he can read even though not as great as others.

11. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Below 70 is very weak. Does he have an IEP (it sounds like he should!) - what does that say? What subject are you?

12. Everyone has good and bad lessons..even qualified teachers. I'm in my 3rd year placement and I have a lovely supportive teacher who has basicly given me her nursery class and trusts me with them...and yet i feel as though I'm not good enough and keep panicking about what could go wrong and not looking forward to all of the things that will go right.
    Look for all of the positives and do not focus on the negatives....as long as you learn from the negatives thats all that matters. x