1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1MA0 Edexcel Linear thresholds

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by buddingtobe, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Has anyone else entered students for the new 1MA0 Edexcel Linear paper in summer? Ive just tested students as a mock/starting point and Edexcel are not giving out the threholds/grade boundaries as they say the exam series has not passed yet.
    What are we to do? Use the old 1380 thresholds?

2. DM

DM New commenter

Well the 1380 boundaries are likely to give you a reasonable idea. I don't know why you didn't just use a 1380 paper as a mock as that has accurate published boundaries.

3. because 1380 isnt available in June

4. DM

DM New commenter

It's virtually identical - you could have picked a paper without a dimensions theory question and the content would have been fine. The only difference is the absence of questions marked *. Whoopie-do.

5. The last two sitting are not in keeping with the previous years.
    Back to the original. Much of the spec/prac papers for the new one are similar to the 1380 with 30-40% of marks awarded for more wordy questions.
    IMO its just a case of professional judgement for now.

6. I am in the same situation but I heard today that the grade boundaries may be going back to what they were in 2008. Ie. 33ish% for a grade C overall. This is really worrying for me as I have been predicting grades with the more recent grade boundaries (24% for C) so many of my 'C' students are no longer that.
    If anyone has any info on this it would be great, at the moment it is just hearsay but it has come from a reliable source. I'm beginning to panic for my borderline students now

7. Exactly my case, how are we to prepare students, if we have no idea of any thresholds? I was going to use the 1380 boundaries of 75+ for a grade C on both papers and so on.