1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1hr lesson structure

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by balanced, May 5, 2011.

1. I am going to start tutoring a year 4 girl of good ability. Ultimately this is in preparation for entrance exams. I wondered if there were any tried and tested ways of structuring the lesson to practice a range of skills in each lesson or after initial assessments etc do you concentrate on one area for a series of lessons etc.
    Thanks. Any ideas for the structure of a first session would be helpful too.

2. I am going to start tutoring a year 4 girl of good ability. Ultimately this is in preparation for entrance exams. I wondered if there were any tried and tested ways of structuring the lesson to practice a range of skills in each lesson or after initial assessments etc do you concentrate on one area for a series of lessons etc.
    Thanks. Any ideas for the structure of a first session would be helpful too.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I tend to stick to the 3 part lesson structure learned at teacher training initially-I know that onceyou know the child, you can make it more individual, but this does work and is familiar to any children in UK schools (with the exception of eg Steiner schools, before someone posts that!)
    I would still inculde a range of VAK etc learning styles, evn once you have estabilshed her preferred learning style, as there is eveidence thAT this improves learning in the long run, but perhaps begin and end with her preference.
    Obviously if she has any SEN (as we all know, many GT students are SEN, many of we teachers are too, whether or not it was recognised in our school days), then you have to account for this, so I would have an in depth discussion with the parent/s first, as this may affect the way you need to plan.
    I would keep records of this, please don't be offended by my making such an obvious point, but I know of one tutor who never planned! I know the reason most of us become private tutors is exasperation at the paperwork in schools, but that guy had obviously never heard of the happy spiritualist!