1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1hr interview lesson...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3884, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hello Theo,
    I'm currently doing my PGCE (secondary MFL) and have my first interview next week, and while I'm really excited to have been shortlisted, there's also a lot I am worrying about as you can imagine.
    First of all, I had been under the impression that interview lessons are usually in the form of micro teaching, i.e. 15-20 mins but I have been asked to teach an entire lesson. Should I be glad about this or is it a bad sign?
    Obviously it is easier to plan a whole lesson and it's also better in terms of establishing some sort of rapport with the pupils, but it still took me by surprise. Also, according to the information the school has given me, the interview is going to be only with the headteacher instead of a panel. Again, is this very unusual or should I not worry about it too much?
    Regarding the interview lesson, I do have a number of good ideas but it's difficult to choose which activities to include as I don't want to fall into the trap of overloading the lesson.
    Any general advice on the do's and don'ts of interview lessons?
    Thanks a lot in advance :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo is, of course, the best person (other than Middlemarch) to advise.
    I agree it's easier to plan and deliver a whole lesson (for all the reasons you state) and my last MFL inetrview lesson was in fact a whole hour's lessons -easier than handing over half-way through at Secondary level I suppose, so wouldn't personally read anything into that- could be wrong of course!
    As to do's and don'ts? At my last interview, which was for Primary, but should go for both (I think?) I was told "Less is more" (as I'd had 3 lesson focuses), so one clear objective well delivered including feedback/plenary might be good?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    As Lara says, I am, er-hum, the expert here (*modest little cough*) because I do consultancy for schools on appointments, as well as having 20+ years' experience in senior positions.
    So in theory, I should know the answers here.
    Hmn.
    My first and most important bit of advice is: stop worrying!
    You are thinking it is a bad sign that you have to teach a whole lesson. A bad sign about what? That they think that you might not be very good? In that case, WHY ON EARTH HAVE THEY SHORTLISTED YOU!
    You are having an interview with the Head - should you worry about it? Why should you worry? Do you think that they think that you might not be very good? In that case, WHY ON EARTH HAVE THEY SHORTLISTED YOU!
    Just calm down here!
    Go to the Welcome thread and open the two Interview clickables for general preparation. When you are well prepared, then you will feel more confident.
    For the lesson - you are the real expert here, because you have been taught very recently how to plan a good lesson. If you have time, buy this book from Amazon:

If you have a kindle you can download it straight away. It gives really good advice on how to prepare for an observed lesson.
    Just remember: don't overload the lesson. Make sure that you have a proper plenary. Have a plan B in case you get the level wrong. Have clear differentiation on your plan.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="buyingDetailsGrid" align="right">

<tr>
    <td>

</td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td></td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td>

</td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td></td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td></td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td>

</td></tr></table><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="productImageGrid" align="left">

<tr>
    <td>
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="text-align:center;">

<tr>
    <td id="prodImageCell">[​IMG]
    </td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="tiny">
    </td></tr></table>

</td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td>

It's
    still quite early, so there's time to get a job for September. If you are still job hunting next month, you might want to come to the Job Application seminar that I am running in London on February 25th www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com </td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td></td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td>

Best wishes!</td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td>

</td></tr></table>
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars