1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

19th Century novel for Year 9?

Discussion in 'English' started by jo.milkins, Sep 30, 2015.

1. jo.milkins

jo.milkins New commenter

Hello

I am looking to study a 19th century novel with year 9 this year and was wondering if anyone had any tried and tested suggestions. For a bit of context, we are a girls' grammar school with (generally) motivated and high-achieving students.

Thank you in advance

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

My colleague taught 'Wuthering Heights' to her top set Year 9 last year - I was a bit sceptical, but it seemed to go very well.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

We teach a Victorian Lit unit in year 8 and we use Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island and Oliver Twist.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How about Little Women

5. jo.milkins

jo.milkins New commenter

Thank you for the ideas. I'll re-acquaint myself with some of your suggestions! Many thanks

6. pianopete

pianopete New commenter

We don't do a 19th Century novel, but we do a Gothic unit in Y8 and a Crime Fiction unit in Y9 during which we look at some short stories using the texts: 19th Century Short Stories and/or Mystery Stories of the 19th Century. For us, this is adequate prep for a 19th century novel and also helps with the AQA new GCSE language paper 1 which could contain unseen pre-20th century prose.

7. jo.milkins

jo.milkins New commenter

Thank you - that's really helpful

8. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

You could introduce extracts at Ks3 buy I'm just wary of turning KS3 into mini-GCSE. We've already lost breadth at KS4 with new rules on text choices. KS3 could be a great place for world literatures or 20th century fiction etc. Sadly lots of schools have gone down this cram '19c route' with KS3.

cate_h likes this.
  9. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

I've done key chapters from Oliver before and compared it to A Christmas Carol. Worked really well.

10. Best_Newcomer_2009

Best_Newcomer_2009 New commenter

Another vote for doing either a genre study or a time period study. I've done a Victorian Literature study, Crime, and a Gothic literature study which all went really well and would fit the bill for you. I prefer this method as you can adapt faster when you have extracts to look at, so if some students really love something in particular you can stick with that text or similar ones and if they hate it, it's only one or two lessons and then you're on to something else.

11. Nead2604

Nead2604 New commenter

Call of the Wild and Robinson Crusoe are fun. Short stories work too. The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant, anything by Edgar Allan Poe

12. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter

For some reason I find Poe way less dated than other literature of the same era. And there are some fantastic resources out there.
    I agree about the short story option offering something for everyone without committing to a novel some may find really unenjoyable.

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Wuthering Heights is too wonderful a flush to bust on Year 9!

I used to find Year 9 loved A Tale of Two Cities - and it's different. New BBC version coming up later in the year, too, on the scale of the fabulous War and Peace.

pepper5 and aspiringteacher95 like this.
  14. aspiringteacher95

aspiringteacher95 New commenter

I agree with above A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, or Oliver! Can't beat a bit of Dickens.

My guilty pleasure is J. Meade Falkner's 'Moonfleet'! Enjoyable for all.

15. manc

manc New commenter

I can't reply owing to extreme jealousy about your class of biddable bespectacled bluestockings bringing you an apple every day. I picture the Marcia Blaine Academy. Oh to have such fortune! Was 'Moonfleet' written in 19th century? I'm thinking not. It's gotta be 'Pride and Prejudice', surely.

16. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Just did 'Hound of the Baskervilles' with my mid set mixed Y9 and it went down extremely well. I strongly focused on structure and context and it is a very good text for both.

17. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

We do Victorian short stories: Dickens, Poe, H.G. Wells -crime or ghost stories maybe. Students enjoy The Red Room, The Stolen Bacillus in particular.

18. manc

manc New commenter

I strongly focused on structure and context and it is a very good text for both.

Hmmm. Bit sad that comment in a way, since it seems to treat all literature as a sort of means to an end. Doesn't everything have 'structure' - even Tristram Shandy?

19. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Edgar Allan Poe or Arthur Conan Doyle are quite good, as they are lots of short stories rather than a long one.
    Alice in Wonderland, Frankenstein, Dracula or Jekyll and Hyde are all pretty good because the students are usually a little familiar with the story, so it helps them to decode the text.
    I usually teach extracts from A Christmas Carol in the Autumn 2 term, even with my SEN students, as it's accessible.

20. manc

manc New commenter

Ah yes, the joys of literature - "decoding the text". What larks, Pip. Is it just me or is Frankenstein really a bit rubbish albeit a good story?