1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

19th Century Non- Fiction

Discussion in 'English' started by bojangles, Jul 5, 2016.

1. bojangles

bojangles New commenter

Hope you can help. I'm putting together sets of AQA Paper 2 style English Language assessments for KS3. However, other than literary non-fiction, I am struggling to find texts. Does anyone have any websites where I can access for free original texts such as newspapers, magazine articles, reports etc

2. Manbooker

Manbooker New commenter

I think the key is to find older texts first then think about a common theme to modern life. The national archives and the British Library are both recommended by AQA. The Victorian Web is useful too.

I know you're looking for KS3, but the outgoing Lit A AS Level had a unit on Victorian non-fiction so that might give you some guidance on writers - Henry Mayhew is fairly accessible for KS3, and good old Dickens.

Once you've found accessible articles, just go on Guardian/Mail/ Telegraph etc online which are all still free and find articles which are thematically linked in some way. The outgoing GCSE is also a good source for modern articles - outdated, but they'll give you some ideas about themes.

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

other than literary non-fiction, no

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016