1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru, Nov 6, 2015.

1. SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru

SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru Occasional commenter

Quite a year.

Some good outcomes here. Living in Cambridge at the time - significant developments: the microchip industrial estates blooming on the outskirts, good music, and a developing alternative scene along Mill Road.

Here, a photograph of the organic fruit and vegetable man who held a weekly stall outside Arjuna co-opertive in Mill Road opposite the Cambridge Art and Technology college.

Scan-150902-0005.jpg

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Two points.

1. That is a great face!

2. I'm not sure I'd trust whatever's in those bottles in the background.

3. SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru

SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru Occasional commenter

Scan-150902-0006.jpg
    Mr. Puce:

1. He was a wonderful old man, late seventies. I'm not sure if it is visible in this photograph, but the fellow always had a cold with a drip hanging off his nose.

2. Several varieties of apple juice: maggots and all. Wonderful stuff too.

Arjuna from the opposite side of the road, college view...

4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I got married that year.
    My now son-in-law was born that year.
    so yeah it was a good year

5. cuteinpuce

In those days, wholefood shops always seemed to be situated somewhere near student haunts. I was at Dundee University in the 70s when Beano Wholefoods opened up across the road from the main university buildings. It was a great shop whose customers were either students or mad people.

I bought the Uhuru Wholefood Cookbook (typed up and copied onto banana-based paper and not enormously legible as a result) from it and and worked my way through it, mainly using ingredients bought from the shop. There were (of course) no pictures in the book and I had no idea what the food I produced was supposed to look or taste like so I ingested all kinds of foul concoctions as a result. But by doing so, I felt that I was doing my bit to show solidarity with the oppressed peoples of the Third World and I'm sure that they felt suitably grateful for my efforts.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

1984? The year the ubiquitous "Sir" (made up title) stopped being funny, and started flagellating.

7. cuteinpuce

It was odd in the two or three years before 1984; there was a general feeling because of Orwell's book that the future (and a not very pleasant one) was about to arrive. A bit millennial.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

How aware of your efforts do you suppose they were?

9. cuteinpuce

Through my dedicated (and entirely scientific) investigations of various illegal substances; my reading of Castaneda et al; my listening to Blue Mink, Melanie, Kevin Ayers, the Mothers and Savoy Brown; and my enthusiastic endorsement of the Gaia Hypothesis, I believed that we living things were all bound by, and given an awareness of each other by, some mysterious force.

There was no need for evidence to back up one's views and opinions in those days, thanks to the mysterious force. :)

10. cuteinpuce

And now that people have the Internet to allow them to check stuff, there's much less opportunity to be creative in one's opinions these days.

I do think facts should be banned from social conversations. They really are very dull things.

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The book still remains the best ever piece of written work I have ever read. No other book can get you thinking so much and Orwell writes so simplisticly yet uniquely that it has to be the most influential book ever. Ever.

12. cuteinpuce

Not really a favourite of mine, but it has a cracking first sentence.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I was teaching in Stockwell in 84 and it was pretty grim. It was a run-down, depressed area before the recessions, which started in the mid-70s. My overall impression of the 80 was of a dull, and anxious time.