1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1980s Usborne Computer Books - Free PDFs

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by madcat, Feb 9, 2016.

1. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

colwynexile likes this.
  2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Love it. Perfect excuse to show to my kids and explain how it was so different in my day. Some are still shocked there were only 3 channels on the telly

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I am sure that i can remember only 2.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Dijkstra predicted (in 1979) that “the advent of cheap and powerful devices will set computer science back 25 years”. It looks like he was probably being optimistic!

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

One of the things that people who were resistant to the introduction of Computing used to say is that it changes too quickly and that they wouldn't be able to keep up.

Imagine how much use a 1980s book on word-processing or spreadsheets would be.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I have these in our Junior School LIbrary. I was reading them a few days ago. I thought from the covers I'd get a few laughs out of them but they were actually really well written

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

BBC2 opened in 1964 so you'd need to be getting on a bit to remember when there was no BBC2 at all.

However, although it existed, you needed to be in an area where it was broadcast and have a new UHF TV set to watch it.

We didn't get BBC2 in our house until the late 60s and only then on an 8" portable TV. We didn't get a proper TV for the lounge that could get BBC2 until the late 70s. Even that wasn't colour!