1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1980s topic

Discussion in 'History' started by tartanred, Jan 27, 2016.

1. tartanred

tartanred New commenter

Hi there,

Has anyone taught the 1980s as a topic. Got a rough MTP drawn up but looking for some inspiration. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on age group, but the recent TV series "It Was Alright in the...[insert decade here]" offers some amusing examples of TV in the period. Content caution in places though.

Given that we came very close to a nuclear exchange in the 1980s I'd argue that studying extracts from the 'Protect and Survive' pamphlet and public information video would be one option to consider.

3. tartanred

tartanred New commenter

Sorry it's KS2.
    Will check out the TV series. Protect and Survive is a great idea too. Thanks!

4. Listless

Listless New commenter

Didn't think the decade of my birth would be a period of historical study so soon!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's possible to get replica Protect and Survive pamphlets, as issued to households in the 1980s - I found one the other day during a clear out.

20+ years is considered 'vintage' for collecting purposes, so the 1980s is fair game.