1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1950's choir help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jen g, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help, I am trying to prepare a set of songs which our school choir could sing for local care homes in the run up to the Jubilee. I was thinking of hymns and school songs which might have been sung in the 50's. Has anyone any ideas? I have got Morning has broken, All things bright and beautiful... anymore?[​IMG]

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help, I am trying to prepare a set of songs which our school choir could sing for local care homes in the run up to the Jubilee. I was thinking of hymns and school songs which might have been sung in the 50's. Has anyone any ideas? I have got Morning has broken, All things bright and beautiful... anymore?[​IMG]

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

This might be a good opportunity for your children to conduct a survey to ask those who were at school in the 50s what their favouite hymn was.
    I would have thought these are some that might be mentioned:
    When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old.
    Onward Christian soldiers.
    Father hear the prayer we offer.
    He who would valiant be.
    The Lord's my shepherd.

4. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I remember singing Bobby Shafto and Hearts of Oak when I was a tiddler in Primary school in the 1950s. Can't remember any more!

5. marlin

Thought of another one and it has an interesting link -
    The day thou gavest Lord is over.
    Queen Victoria chose this song for her diamond jubilee in 1897.

6. I sang in a school choir about 10 years ago that was formed for the purpose of entertaining people in care and nursing homes. Off the top of my head, some of our most popular songs were:

Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square
    Songs from My Fair Lady
    Disney Theme - When you Wish upon a Star
    We also sang a lot of traditional local songs like Mairi's Wedding and Robert Burns' compositions, but other local well loved songs from your area would go down well, I am sure.

7. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I went to primary school in the 50s - however I am not in a care home!You might want to make it 40's.
    We sang lots of traditional songs - MichaelFinnigan, Down in Demerara, Strawberry Fayre, The Ash Grove, All through the Night are ones that immediately come to mind. My favourite hymns were Daisies are our silver, and Glad that I Live am I - I can still remember the words, great songs.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My thoughts exactly! Also, I don't remember hearing Morning Has Broken until Cat Stevens had a hit with it in the late 60s, but it may well have been around before that.

9. marlin

I think the OP was trying to get a link to the jubilee - singing songs that children would have sung in school at the time of the coronation, rather than implying that anyone at school in the fifties might be in a care home!
    Most of the traditional songs and hymns mentioned here would be known to those at school in the thirties and forties.
    Morning has broken was first written in 1931.

10. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

You are right Marlin we just wanted to sing a few from the era for those in care homes that might allow them to sing along- we are also singing a few war songs- I know that is before the coronation but we want the event to go with a swing. Thanks for all your supportive responses

11. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Have recently found- when a knight won his spurs - I had forgotten about this hymn- we sung it at primary- so lovely! Any more ideas?

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

in the 50's and 60 the songs in our school; where traditionally hymns....many of which have been mentioned.
    School music came out of the radio ...but i dont remember much of it..... more in the realm of folk tunes and ballards..such as men of harlech and bobby shaftoe.im secondary in the 60's we went to classical concerts but assemblies where still hymns.
    I would think any songs popular on the radio such as your a pink tooth brush or crooners style they might remember, along with the early songs which the reached the hit parade.

13. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Thanks for all your responses, I sent a similar question home for homework this week and the kids have had great fun listening to songs that relatives and friends had sung in the past. We finally have a play list! [​IMG]

14. you can sing "It's a long way to Tipperary" and "Pack up your troubles" at the same time as the chords are the same... sounds brilliant. The 2 groups need to know the songs really well.
    You start one group off with its "It's a... " and the second group start "Pack up your"
    So the start sounds like:
    It's a Pack up your troubles

15. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Love that!!! thank you[​IMG]

16. funambule

funambule New commenter

Do a search for `uncle mac's children's favourites'; should throw up masses of songs and ideas!

17. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

Ha ha I like it - nor me!!